240v Floodlight Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stuck a floodlight at the top of my garden and connected into an exterior IP65 box via SWA.

I have used the following harmonized scheme and double checked both ends are aligned:
brown - live
grey - neutral
black - earth

I guess this is irrelevant given that I checked both ends are wired same.

Its not working!

I have checked the bulb and its fine and the socket is live.

My voltage detector pen lights up on the cable as it exits the box. The I have buried it 18" deep.

My voltage pen does not light on the cable as it enters the light though.

The distance between ends is about 12 meters.

I am getting a Pro in but just wondered if this sounds normal ie. the distance will impact the power?

Yes, I am a complete amateur Will get a pro in but just trying to learn.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I have stuck a floodlight at the top of my garden and connected into an exterior IP65 box via SWA.

I have used the following harmonized scheme and double checked both ends are aligned:
brown - live
grey - neutral
black - earth

Its not working!

I have checked the bulb and its fine and the socket is live.

My voltage detector pen lights up on the cable as it exits the box. The I have buried it 18" deep.

The distance between ends is about 12 meters.

I am getting a Pro in but just wondered if this sounds normal ie. the distance will impact the power?

Yes, I am a complete amateur Will get a pro in but just trying to learn.

cheers

I hope you have put green/yellow sleeving on the black wire and blue sleeving on the grey wire.
No it is not normal, there is a fault.
Voltage detector pens are pretty useless.
Hopefully your pro will sort it.

cheers for the comments.

Yes, to the sleeving.

The bulb is in about as tight as it will go so maybe the light is faulty.

Will wait for the expert.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
My voltage detector pen lights up on the cable as it exits the box.

That could be your test pen misleading you

Check the floodlight has not got a built in light sensor that makes it only work when dark

brown - live
grey - neutral
black - earth

Its not working!
Where are you getting the supply from?

I hope you have put green/yellow sleeving on the black wire and blue sleeving on the grey wire.
And that the armour is earthed and the cable properly glanded at each end.

Before making this live you should have done continuity of the conductors, IR and polarity.

If your voltage pen is picking up a live at supply side an not at load, you either have bad readings from pen, a break in continuity or possibly, the pen was close enough to another live at supply side to detect a voltage and you have not terminate the live conductor correctly or powered up.
Check for insulation trapped in terminal or loose/broken conductor. And after that, you have power.
But I would recommend that you follow the correct procedures, prior to making the circuit live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back