How to get power to floodlight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to purchase one of these for my garden
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-weyburn-led-floodlight-10w-white-cool-white/952fx

However, I am a bit confused on how to get power to the floodlight

Can I run a cable 1mm from the light to switch (2 gang). Currently this switch is powering a florescent light in my kitchen?

Or do I have to run a cable from the florescent light to the floodlight. Then another cable from the floodlight to the 2 gang switch?

Sponsored Links
That depends on how it is wired at the moment.

Turn off the power at the fusebox(consumer unit) and open up the switch and show us some pictures.
Image of current setup

It's a two gang switch which is powering two separate lights in my kitchen

I did some of the wiring, so please don't slate it :D:D

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_100855.jpg
    IMG_20190724_100855.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 315
Image of current setup

It's a two gang switch which is powering two separate lights in my kitchen

I did some of the wiring, so please don't slate it :D:D

Has the red/black cable got an earth wire in its sheath? The blue/brown cable has an earth but it does seem to be connected. It should go to the back box. I assume you did the blue/brown as that is the latest. Is the earth at the other end of the blue/brown cable connected?

As to your question, it would appear there is no neutral at these switches so you would have to do the 2nd of your options and change the switch to a 3 gang.

Sponsored Links
Has the red/black cable got an earth wire in its sheath? The blue/brown cable has an earth but it does seem to be connected. It should go to the back box. I assume you did the blue/brown as that is the latest. Is the earth at the other end of the blue/brown cable connected?

As to your question, it would appear there is no neutral at these switches so you would have to do the 2nd of your options and change the switch to a 3 gang.
Cheer Winnie

The red and black cable has earth however throughout the property this appears to have been deliberately snipped by the installer

All of the light fittings and switches are plastic

However some parts of the florescent light is metal and the back boxes are metal too. Do you recommend extending the earth by soldiering and terminating in the backbox?

Also i have no back box at the moment as i removed this to do a bigger chase for back box/conduit.

The earth in the blue/brown which i did will be connected to the backbox. The other end is connected to a connector strip (to. Extend wire) but the earth to. The florecent light is not connected

Thanks for the help

I should also point out that the property does have some wiring to an old outside light (which i want to replace)

I have uploaded an image of the wires that were feeding the original flood light. There was a swich here.

I am not familiar with the cabling but would it be possible to use this wiring and connect it to the 3 gang switch (which is on yhe other side of the room?)

There appears to be a puple, brown, black and earth cable

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_111653.jpg
    IMG_20190724_111653.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 236
Cheer Winnie

The red and black cable has earth however throughout the property this appears to have been deliberately snipped by the installer

This needs to be rectified throughout the property especially if there are metal light fittings like your florescent.

Cheer Winnie

Do you recommend extending the earth by soldiering and terminating in the backbox?

Yes.

i suggest you get an electrician to come and sort out your wiring.

Andy
The electrician's already been out and he aaid that my wiring is good.. he said that as long as I use plastic fittings then I am good.

I wullbe changing the florecemtf lights for some downlights that do not require earth

I should also point out that the property does have some wiring to an old outside light (which i want to replace)

I have uploaded an image of the wires that were feeding the original flood light. There was a swich here.

I am not familiar with the cabling but would it be possible to use this wiring and connect it to the 3 gang switch (which is on yhe other side of the room?)

There appears to be a puple, brown, black and earth cable
Anyone have any comment on this wiring?

Can I use this wiring for my outside flood light?

The electrician's already been out and he aaid that my wiring is good.. he said that as long as I use plastic fittings then I am good.

The outside light you linked to in the first post is not plastic!

Here we go again...adding to a lighting circuit now requires an RCD no cpc...needs sorting........come at me

True (certainly for the 'added' bit), but who has told us that the circuit is not RCD-protected?

Kind Regards, John
In my experiance and looking at the existing wireing i would say that there is a 99 percent chance of no rcs

In my experiance and looking at the existing wireing i would say that there is a 99 percent chance of no rcs
Experience of what? You obviously can't be suggesting that there is a 99% chance of there being no RCD in any domestic electrical installation.

You may, of course, be right - but no matter what probability you care to mention, you are simply guessing.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back