Loft Light Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many, my loft is dark and dingy. So I am planned on installing some 2x LED Floodlight either (50W/5000 lumen or 30W/3000 lumen)

Like these from Screwfix

Before purchasing the floodlight, I wanted to know whether these lights are generally suitable for my purpose or are there better lights i should be looking at for a loft area?

Sponsored Links
i have used these in the garage for a working light, and my s-i-l has them in garage a utility room and a store room 1/2 a garage
infact it was the Twin 5ft LED Batten 45W 4000lm 240V (5440R), but they nolonger have that

Last edited:
Use an LED batten, not a floodlight.

You have restricted height etc in a loft. A flood is going to either blind you, or concentrate light in only one place.

One or two strip lights in the peak is the best way.

Sponsored Links
Like many, my loft is dark and dingy. So I am planned on installing some 2x LED Floodlight either (50W/5000 lumen or 30W/3000 lumen)

Like these from Screwfix

Before purchasing the floodlight, I wanted to know whether these lights are generally suitable for my purpose or are there better lights i should be looking at for a loft area?
A lot depends on your loft height and shape and also what the loft is used for, I've worked in both and regularly and been grateful they are there.
I successfully use 10w floods at temporary work lighting and being tiny units (not much more than a cigarette pack) are easy to hang/wedge at height.

My own loft is only 4ft tall 8ft wide & 30ft long (chalet style property with sloping bedroom ceilings) LED floods would be pergatory but my previous house had 10ft to the ridge and floods would have been fine.

EDIT: You probably won't require 50/30W floods in a loft.

Last edited:
A lot depends on your loft height and shape and also what the loft is used for, I've worked in both and regularly and been grateful they are there.
I successfully use 10w floods at temporary work lighting and being tiny units (not much more than a cigarette pack) are easy to hang/wedge at height.

My own loft is only 4ft tall 8ft wide & 30ft long (chalet style property with sloping bedroom ceilings) LED floods would be pergatory but my previous house had 10ft to the ridge and floods would have been fine.

EDIT: You probably won't require 50/30W floods in a loft.
Loft height is 2.1m at its peak and roof is hip style.

So not a lot of space and I have to constantly crawl/crouch around in there.

@foxhole @Taylortwocities @ETAF Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought it was a bad idea to put floodlights in the loft. Really glad I asked now.

Loft height is 2.1m at its peak and roof is hip style.

So not a lot of space and I have to constantly crawl/crouch around in there.

@foxhole @Taylortwocities @ETAF Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought it was a bad idea to put floodlights in the loft. Really glad I asked now.
Again I'll say it depends on your use of the loft.
Regardless of the type of lighting, getting anywhere near the eaves will create a massive shaddow., if your roof is one where it's hip all round and comes to a single point or very short ridge then a common solution was a single batten holder or rose and bulbholder and 60/100W bulb, a single flood may very well be good solution as placing lights (Any style) on the rafters will potentially mean you are looking into it (and blinded) as you move around.

Like these from Screwfix

A single, small, point source of light will produce very hard, and deep shadows, made worse if the source of the light is in your eyeline. Strip LED lights are much better in this respect.

A single, small, point source of light will produce very hard, and deep shadows, made worse if the source of the light is in your eyeline. Strip LED lights are much better in this respect.
I completely agree if there is a position where a striplight can be fitted out of the eyeline.
However if this is the situation where would a long tube fit?
1677432075040.png

I completely agree if there is a position where a striplight can be fitted out of the eyeline.
However if this is the situation where would a long tube fit?
...and if there are purlins, mounting a striplight below the purlin nicely illuminates the lower space, right into the eaves.
Then a high level light doesn't need to be as large, or as bright.

...and if there are purlins, mounting a striplight below the purlin nicely illuminates the lower space, right into the eaves.
Then a high level light doesn't need to be as large, or as bright.
Yes correct and the purlins may very well cast a significant shadow from a central light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back