Installing floodlight

The documents change far more often than the law itself.

because the next idiot in line decides that the last guys interpretation was wrong..

I hope that you can see my standpoint that the law isnt always as clear as it seems

the law is laid down in black and white...
it's peoples interpretations of it that is not always clear.. one person reads it one way, another person reads it the other..

the LABC will always go for the easiest option given the chance, and it differs from town to town many times..

Sponsored Links
Even if technically the law says it is notifiable I cannot see anyone being prosecuted for failure to notify given what the official guidance on the subject says.

Ill let a court decide that not some jumped up know it all on a poxy diy forum thanks.
Oh - OK. Though I could have sworn you said you were entitled to your opinion.... :LOL:

a large unwieldy law
35 pages is large and unwieldy? That's ⅓ the length of GN3, which is one of the shorter ones.

Oh well, if you're sure.

which requires further guidance
You require further guidance on the meaning of "an outdoor lighting installation" ?

I hope that you can see my standpoint that the law isnt always as clear as it seems
You think "an outdoor lighting installation" isn't clear?

Even if technically the law says it is notifiable I cannot see anyone being prosecuted for failure to notify given what the official guidance on the subject says.
Ah - but what does it say?

Seems to me that what we have are compounded misinterpretations, one on top of the other.

• The installation of equipment attached to the
    outside wall of a house (for example security
    lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon
    fans) is not notifiable provided that there are
    no exposed outdoor connections

What do you think is meant by "exposed outdoor connections"?

Sponsored Links
I'd take it as meaning exposed connections external to the luminaire/whatever fitted outdoors. The O/P can always phone his LABC if he is unsure.

Sorry, see edit.

Exposed as in the connection box or whatever it is being exposed to the elements.

Surely connections should never be exposed (ie outside an enclosure), whether internal or external to the building

A connection box, junction box, or whatever you want to call it which is exposed to the elements, i.e. outdoors.

Yep, however that is part of the luminaire - you can't really get around using that ;)

So we can make a connection in a suitably IP rated external luminaire terminal box but not a suitably IP rated external junction box ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back