1 wall light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m a real novice to excuse if the below is confusing.

I’ve recently changed 3 wall lights after the walls were plastered, prior to all 3 lights worked. The wall lights run off a socket fuse.

I’ve installed all 3 however only 2 are working.

The 2 that are working have 2 live wires and 2 neutrals. The one that’s not working only has 1 of each.

I’ve swapped them around so have ruled out that is the bulbs or the light fixing that’s faulty.

I’ve used a voltage pen and confirmed the live wire is okay. I cut the neutral wire as far back as I could and spliced it with new wire.

Any ideas why isn’t not working? Also why do the other two have 2 of each cable and the last one 1?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
they are daisy chained together - so the switch/JB goes to the first light - then from the 1st light to 2nd light - hence 2 cables and then last cable to third light

do you have a test meter or just a pen
has the cable broken, or been screwed into the sleeving insulation and not onto the copper

maybe some photos

the Live wire is OK on all 3 lights - with the pen?

Thanks for the quick reply! Right okay that makes sense, it’s the last one on the circuit.

I just have a pen and all live wires are working.

I’ve made sure there’s enough copper to screw in.

I’ve attached some photos. The first one is the 2nd light hence the 2 live wires and neutral. This one works.

The 2nd photo is the last one which isn’t working.
9CD52468-23B8-4377-9E95-B0B63DB18277.jpeg

Attachments

• 267354CB-2C97-4A35-AF44-746ACDBA1F28.jpeg
    267354CB-2C97-4A35-AF44-746ACDBA1F28.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48
Mate I done it!

Like you said wasn’t screwed in properly.

So the 2nd neutral on fitting 2 obviously wasn’t in properly so didn’t pass it into the 3rd fitting.

That’s my understanding if that’s correct at all?

Sponsored Links
Great news that its fixed.

The lesson is: Your voltage pen only shows the presence of live.
As you now have discovered, for a circuit to work you need live and a neutral, and those magic wand things wont help you there.

Before your next electrrical saga starts, I suggest you invest in a two probe electrical test device, even a cheap multimeter is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back