VR66 buzzing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone that has installed one of these, did you find it makes a buzzing noise all the time while ebus cable is connected, if I take it out then the noise goes away.

Sponsored Links
Seems one of the ceramic capacitors is causing it.

Orange disc top left between the two transformers.

Sponsored Links
It's marked C which means capacitor, ceramic disk caps are fairly common to buzz and depends on frequency power supply is working and board design. Its not a tantalum one though as those are known to pop. I googled problem and buzzing ceramic caps can emit a piezoelectric effect.

I know the disc one is to blame as if you touch it then it goes quiet.

It's marked C which means capacitor, ceramic disk caps are fairly common to buzz and depends on frequency power supply is working and board design. Its not a tantalum one though as those are known to pop. I googled problem and buzzing ceramic caps can emit a piezoelectric effect.

I know the disc one is to blame as if you touch it then it goes quiet.

OK - Change its resonant frequency with a blob of silicon sealant maybe?

I put some rubber tubing over it and yes it changed the frequency and made it quieter.
My mum can not hear it, I tend to hear quite high frequencies quite easily.
Switchmode power supplies run up around 10khz+ so people start to tail off what they can hear the older they get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back