VW Bora diesel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister's 1.9D Bora has a waring light in that comes on every 6000 miles she reckons.

She thinks its an indicator light for an oil change but I've read that the 5W40 oil from a VW main dealers is rated for 10'000 mile changes.

What switches the light on?

Sponsored Links
Needs plugging into VAGCOM to read the codes. There will surely be cloned vagcom cd's off the ebay which you can stick on your laptop....

So the light activation is part of a code programmed into the car electronics?

Is the light illumination actually an indication for an oil change ?

Is this the same?

If its a light instead of a readout, it might be older, they just come on at a set mileage regardless of the oil you use, or the way its driven.

If this isn't your sequence to reset, just Google it with age and model

Sponsored Links
6000 sounds too early for a dealer warning unless someone has altered the settings, its about the mileage id change at though.
Vw longlife oils are designed for higher mileages (up to 20000 i believe)
but 10000 on a standard 5w 40 pd specific oil isnt a huge problem.
If the car has been set to longlife servicing it monitors the oil quality and trips etc and tells you when it needs a service.

VW diesels of that age can be on variable service intervals and I believe (would have to check the book to be sure) its either 6000 or 10000.

Personally I change my oil every 6000miles as the PD engine in mine can be a bit finicky about oil early ones had a rep for eating camshafts.

Personally I change my oil every 6000miles as the PD engine in mine can be a bit finicky about oil early ones had a rep for eating camshafts.

Very wise.

Leaving oil in for some of these ridiculously long recommended intervals is another sure fire way for the turbo to eat itself.

The Bora in question is has 100k + miles on the clock.

The VW dealer has confirmed 10k interval oil changes for 5W40.

I have however always changed the oil/filter when the light has come on every 5k miles.

Having read about, and the VW dealer confirming 10k mile intervals, I thought its a waste of good oil changing at 5k.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back