VW Camper van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey ho the vehicle of the day is a T2 VW camper van, 59 plate, made in Brazil :eek: These things are copies of the 'bushy bushy blonde hairdo' surfer van but thankfully they are fitted with a 1.4 VW Polo engine.
They are imported / converted / altered by Danbury, Bristol.
The build quality is truly dreadful but according to the breakdown people its 'pishing oil from behind the timing belt inner cover'. :confused:
I haven't looked at it yet, but what the hell is behind the timing belt cover that can leak oil?? Its not the crank or camshaft oil seals, apparently.
Cheers and good evening
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yep - had a quick look at it when it arrived.
Opening the rear engine bay door you are looking at the crank pulley, which only drives an alternator (no A/C, PAS) so its dead easy to get to.
The engine is mated to a 4 speed transaxle (4 speed :eek: ) with pudding stirrer gearstick.
The entire engine and rear bodywork are soaked in oil, but the filter and sump plug are ok. Thats all I know for now - I'll have a better look this afternoon.

Well, this one could well be sorted.
The tensioner (automatic) is positioned immediately before the crankshaft pulley. The tensioner is bolted to a metal plate - the securing bolts of which were completely loose :eek: So, I've tightened them and the oil leak has stopped.
Maybe this metal plate has a retainer for the crank oil seal I don't know, but I could reach the offending bolts with only the outer timing belt cover removed - I didn't even have to take the crank pulley off.
So, I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. A little unsatisfactory I know, but why go further for no reason?
I don't get many jobs like this!

Sponsored Links
Fair comment mate and I didn't bother. Bolts coming loose on an engine are very rare these days, I find.
I appreciate I should have popped off the pulley and belt but there was no evident belt contamination and I also cant find out what the engine code is.
Check out one of these vehicles if you get the chance - no air bags, central locking or PAS, the dash has eyeball vents not connected to anything, 8 grease nipples per side for suspension and scary handling.
All yours for £28k :eek: :eek: :eek:
John :D

You can actually pay more if you want but in reality the build and paint / rustproofing quality is abysmal. Some folks will pay anything for image and thats up to them - personally I wouldn't have one given.
The lack of protection (no air bags, engine in the back = trip through the screen) scared me big time and the handling reminded me of a 2CV.
The gear lever nearly had to touch the N/S mirror to get first and the steering uses the steering box and drop arm principle - well '60's!
John :D

i drove a friends original t2 back from a camping trip years ago, i had more chance of getting 6 numbers on the lottery than finding any of the gears!

as VW T2 campervan owner with limited mechanical knowledge, a manual in Poertugese and a fraught relationship with Danbury (their warranty doesn't seem to cover anything that goes wrong) can anyone please tell me when the timing belt should be replaced?

As a VW T2 campervan owner with limited mechanical knowledge, a manual in Portugese and a fraught relationship with Danbury (their warranty doesn't seem to cover anything that goes wrong) can anyone please tell me when the timing belt should be replaced?

The belt will be fine to 60k - its very lightly stressed with no sharp turns.....find the correct one in good time though as its a 1.4 polo lump but you can't cross reference the part from the registration number.
Have fun getting an air cleaner if its the long tubular thing....its actually a Fram part.
As for warranty....now that is a larf - but people just love these vans.

• Thanks
Reactions: shd
Sponsored Links
Back