VW Camper van

Fram the filter makers......if your air cleaner is a long round paper thing then the Fram part number is CA9004.
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: shd
Sponsored Links
Thankyou- apologies for my ignorance and I do love my van- as it's my first I thought getting a new one would mean trouble and cost free driving (for a while) and perhaps the difficult gear shift, rust, disintegrating exhaust, electrical failures, wind induced wobbling etc. were just part of the experience!! It explains the occasional sneers from other 'proper' campervan drivers.

Enjoy your van! If my comments are sarcastic they certainly aren't aimed at the individual, rather for that sort of expenditure you would expect better build quality I think.
The 59 plate van that I look after has its exhaust corroded right through on both silencers :eek: so buy the bits in good time.
Dont forget there are about 8 grease nipples that need attention at the front suspension and steering swivels.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Thanks for link-
and thanks for all advice-
I agree- I expected more for the money- which was my inheritance- the van an indulgence- but I didn't expect it to become such a liability- I've already had to replace both silencers (also a 59 plate van) and the alternator (Danbury claimed it was 'normal' wear and tear!!)
Are problems with the electrics commonplace ?
I seem to be forever replacing the fuse between main battery and leisure battery and also the EPC light comes on (and van won't accelerate) whenever it's cold or I haven't used the van for a few days!

The alternator won't be a regular failure item - I would have thought it would have been covered really or at least Danbury should have made a goodwill contribution towards it.
The other electrics are definitely a disaster area and always carry spare fuses with you - especially the big one on the right of the engine bay......fuse life can be extended by not letting the leisure battery fail (charge it up independantly and slowly over long periods of non use) and replacing the relay near the battery for a quality one is a good move. The fact that the connections are crimped doesn't fill me with confidence either.
For reasons unknown to me if the leisure battery fails, this blows the fuse for the fuel pump :eek: so keep a spare on board for that.
The wing nuts for the engine hatch go AWOL too, so I put a 10mm nyloc nut right on the end of the thread to prevent that one.
I can't comment on the epc light but don't worry about it - if the engine is used for longer periods it'll stay off and doesn't affect the MOT anyway.
Keep on truckin' ;)

• Thanks
just discovered the thanks button :oops:
two remaining questions (for now)- bumph from Danbury states 30amp fuse for engine bay although was told 40 amp- does it matter? and no mention of fuel pump fuse- where is it?

Apologies for the late reply - been sunning myself up the Northumberland coast :cool:
The 30 amp fuse will give more protection than the 40 amp, but what I've found is this:
If the leisure battery is dead flat, the alternator may charge initially higher than 30 amp so the fuse pops.....a 40 amp fuse should prevent this.
If there's a direct short, any fuse should pop anyway.
The secret seems to keep the leisure battery charged up from a mains charger from time to time.
Now, from memory, the fuel pump fuse was underneath the dashboard, midships inside....within the usual fuse cluster. I have no idea why it blew - just the van wouldn't start after.
If I remember any other foibles I'll let you know! Danbury most reluctantly replaced some of the external chrome parts (mirrors, head lamp bezels etc) after 9 months due to rust but it was like getting blood out of a stone.
I think there's quite a good unique vehicle under there actually - its just the build quality has to be looked at carefully.

• Thanks
Back in 96 my mate brought one of those 'new' p reg mexico beetles they reproduced.

He paid 10 grand for it, pos it was, kept breaking down, all due to poor build workmanship.

It had the org flat 4 engines, 1.6 injected..! Wow.

Sponsored Links
Back