vw golf starting noise s reg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one help please when i start my golf s reg 1999 the car makes a screeching noise wld be nice to have an idea what it might be before i take it to garage and how much it might cost money tight at moment any help wld be great .

Sponsored Links
It is most likely to be the auxilary belt slipping on one of the pulleys, this could be because the belt is slack or worn or it could be that one of the pulleys (on say the power stearing pump, alternator etc) has seized. Any other problems with the car?

Sponsored Links
If you have air con try starting the car with that swtiched off. If it still screeches you know it is one of the other auxillary items or as I said it could just be the belt.

Without knowing what is wrong it is hard to say how much it will cost.

A new belt is only about £15 but there will be the labour to replace it, a new alternator could be £150, plus labour. No idea how much an air con compressor is. If it is that you could leave it switched off and do with out it :LOL:

If the screeching occurs directly as you are starting up, it could be that the starter motor has a dry bush on the end of its shaft.....again, removing the auxilliary belts is the only real way to test this.
Chances are its the alternator belt slack.
John :)

I think the alternator belt is a toothed one on a '99 Golf, and the fans are probably electric, so the likely culprit is either aircon or power steering (which might be driven off the same belt as the alternator, can't recall whether my '01 Leon was or wasn't)

Squirt some WD40 into the drive groove on the suspect pulleys one at a time whilst starting the car and see if one of them stops the squealing. It's not a permanent fix but it'll point you in the right direction.

If the screeching occurs directly as you are starting up, it could be that the starter motor has a dry bush on the end of its shaft.....again, removing the auxilliary belts is the only real way to test this.
Chances are its the alternator belt slack.
John :)

Sounds like the flywheel lost a tooth or two!, or the stator in the starter isn't upto the job?

Its the starter, I had an X-reg one that did the same thing intermitantly.

Sponsored Links
Back