VW Polo (Automatic) not starting up - Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with my polo and wondering if any of you can help me out!

I've got a 52 plate polo, done 40k and it's having trouble starting up. It died on me a few months back, took it to a garage and was told it was the inhibitor switch which was faulty. Had this replaced and seemed to solve the problem. Few days back (I think it may be due to the cold?) the problems have come back. I put the key in, turn the key and nothing.. Electrics work fine, lights, head unit etc, but the car doesn't attempt to start up. However, if I held the key in for a few seconds it would start up as normal as car would run perfectly. So it died again few days ago and took it back to the garage who re-replaced the inhibitor switched fix the car for a whole day before dieing again.

Took it to another garage to check out and they can't find any problems with the car? All they said is hold they key in and it will eventually start. That's what I had been doing but eventually it will just stop working again.

I have no idea on what to do?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the car is not recognizing your key.

Try your spare key if you have one.

Your key isn't damp or damaged?

Leave it on the radiator for an hour, then try it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought it may have been the key too but I didn't get a spare with the car to test it. The other thing is that everything else works with the key (stereo turns on etc) and it does eventually start it. I believe it is weather related as if I've driven it for a long period then turn it off and try and restart it, it starts up straight away.

What's the hey?

The garage that couldn't find a problem have asked to keep it til Wednesday to try and get to the bottom of it. Fingers crossed!

The other thing is that everything else works with the key (stereo turns on etc) and it does eventually start it.

What's the hey?

Yes everything else will work, but the car will not start if the key is not
recognized by the car. Or it may start and then just stop.

The hey = Key sorry about that. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Hmm this may be right. Only thing is that once the car has been running for a while, it will start up right away even after a couple of hours.. E.g. in the morning it will take yonks to start up, then i'll drive it 45 mins to the shops and spend a good two hours there. Come back and the car starts up straight away.. :confused:

Back