VW Polo boot repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I'm new here so bare with me.

My mum has a 2004 VW Polo. The boot strut ball has fallen out and obviously can't access it due to the body shape.
I've done a bit of research and tested a few different methods on how to obviously fit something to the car so the ball pin can fit in to it but no luck.

I've seen someone mention a rivnut and after watching a few videos on YouTube, it seems like it'll be the best way.

Here's the question.
The hole in the car is 12mm, but the ball pin is only 8mm. What size rivnut would I need to be able to fit in the car but also capable to take the ball pin?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have fitted these before, and they were an 8mm thread with a captive nut.....has the nut disappeared?
John :)

Cool, so would that be an m8 rivnut I'd need then?

Yeah apparently so. No idea how haha

Leo

Sponsored Links
The YouTube video is helpful, but unfortunately the but the arm clips on to is obviously bolted to the car. It's that bit I'm having the issue with

I bought replacement ball pins from GSF, and was surprised how available they were.
I guess the original nut was spot welded on, the weld failed and the nut has disappeared into the double skinned boot lid somewhere.
An 8mm rivnut is what you need but I’d definitely practice fitting them first, using some scrap steel, a vice and a bolt to allow the nut to compress. Sometimes they are really tough!

Yeah that sounds exactly like what's happened on my Mum's one.
Thanks for your advice. There's a scrappy not too far from me so I'll see what I can find there to practice on!

Leo

I should have said, these rivnuts have a hexagonal stem which passes through the hole provided.....you may need a thin washer to prevent the rivnut falling through.
No doubt, plenty of hints on youtube about these things.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back