vw polo reverse light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - as the title says where is the reverse light switch location on a 03 polo 1.9sdi ?...reverse lights remain on all the time..may be the switch...cheers..

Sponsored Links
Almost certain to be the switch!
On some its on the nearside casting of the gearbox, on others its on the front. Either way, there aren't any other electrical connections to the gearbox down there so look for a plastic plug with 2 wires usually.
Bridging that plug will put the reverse lights on as a test.
The switch unscrews, put some sealant on the new plug threads so you can bung it straight in without losing any oil.
John :)

Almost crtain to be the switch!
On some its on the nearside casting of the gearbox, on others its on the front. Either way, there aren't any other electrical connections to the gearbox down there so look for a plastic plug with 2 wires usually.
Bridging that plug will put the reverse lights on as a test.
The switch unscrews, put some sealant on the new plug threads so you can bung it straight in without losing any oil.

Cheers mate...the part no by vw is 02t945415p i looked for something like this on the gearbox side of the car...all i could find was a switch that was screwed half way down the gearbox on the right side looking from the front of the car...it had some wires coming from it which seem to go into the solonoid wiring loom of the starter motor...is this it ?...

I guess this has to be the one....disconnect the plug and see if the head looks the same.
The wiring will enter the loom and head in the general direction of the starter so nowt to worry about there.

Sponsored Links
I'm not very bright tonight (or any night :p ) why not disconnect the existing switch, plug the new one onto the wire and work it by hand? That'll prove it one way or another.

ill have a closer look tommorrow.....or i could just simply disconnect the wiring plug from this switch....if the reverse lights go out then its the switch..lol...simples :mrgreen:

ok replaced reverse light switch..but lights still not working, changed the bulbs as well but still not working...how do i check the connection, ie the plug with a digital cheapo voltmeter.?.

Put the meter on 20Volts DC. Put black lead on the small pole of the battery and the red led on the big one. Just to make sure the meter works properly? You should get around 12Volts.

With the ignition switched on and in reverse, connect the black lead to the chassis (clean steel) and the red lead to the center terminal of the reverse bulb holder. You should have 12volts (or battery voltage).

If you have put the bulb in, and connect the red lead to the center terminal, this time outside of the holder, again you should have battery voltage?

Then, with the red lead still connected, connect the black to the earth in the light unit (it will be connected to the outside body of the reverse bulb) again you should have battery voltage?

If you are in any doubt about the switch, connect the two wires on the switch with a small fuse wire.

See how you go ........

yes the reverse lights were on all the time...so i took out the bulbs, then the indicator on on side started playing up, would work but also light up the rear foglamp as indicated by the foglamp on the dash...neddless to say it faile the mot, needed a new bulb holder board...replaced and all is fine, pass mot and all lights working..hence faulty switch (reverse light) and faulty board..thanks guys..for the advice..

Sponsored Links
Back