Vw Polo radio problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drive a VW Polo 03 model. Recently the radio started acting up.(Gamma make, comes fitted as standard). Poor reception, crackling through the speakers and loss of reception altogether. All these faults occur intermittently. I returned it to the VW dealer where I bought it as it's still under manufacturers warranty. So far they have replaced the co-ax cable, the aerial roof unit and also tried a different radio set. The problem still the same. Anyone out there shed some light on what may be the problem because VW sure as hell don't. Any thoughts comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance Willie.

Sponsored Links
If everything has been replaced, aerial, coax cable and radio unit, this leaves to suspicion of an RF interference within your vehicle, or in neighbourhood. Is the inteference on AM or FM or both? have you recently installed any accessories such as a tracking device, or any kind of transmiter? is it on one station or all stations? it could be a pirate radio station in your area bleeding over your signal

Netrics-PJay said:
If everything has been replaced, aerial, coax cable and radio unit, this leaves to suspicion of an RF interference within your vehicle, or in neighbourhood. Is the inteference on AM or FM or both? have you recently installed any accessories such as a tracking device, or any kind of transmiter? is it on one station or all stations? it could be a pirate radio station in your area bleeding over your signal

Thanks for your reply Netrics nothing retro fitted to the car and it happens on all stations. I got the car back today and the VW dealer mentioned an interesting point, when they were out testing it today the RDS picked up a signal and displayed the name of a radio station which was alien to them and me. However it was the same song being played and the same DJ voice as the long established local radio station that the radio was tuned to. Maybe this confirms your theory of a pirate radio station.

The end result at the mo is thats as good as they can get it. It has improved since the replacement parts were fitted but I don't feel it's as good as it should be.

Willie.

wasnt Fridge was it?

yes that is a real radio station

it may be where you are / were. my current fav staion made an anouncement a while ago that you may get poor signal / pirate stations as they are halving their transmitter power for a couple of weeks for work to be done

Sponsored Links
If everything has been changed then i would guess you have a loose wire somewhere on the car causing interference through the arial. Good luck finding it though!

I am sorry to tell you the problem is most likely to be that VW radios are not very good. My first Caravelle with Gamma radio would lose Magic ( a London station) 18 miles out of London my old ford would keep it for 40 miles and sometimes more. The vw was an 03. My 05 transporter was just as bad untill I fitted an old ford unit. My radio problems are now solved. Not my sat nav but thats a different story!

yawollohnylg said:
I am sorry to tell you the problem is most likely to be that VW radios are not very good. My first Caravelle with Gamma radio would lose Magic ( a London station) 18 miles out of London my old ford would keep it for 40 miles and sometimes more. The vw was an 03. My 05 transporter was just as bad untill I fitted an old ford unit. My radio problems are now solved. Not my sat nav but thats a different story!
Cant you get magic on MW? 909 or 990?

yawollohnylg said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Bit of a poor show from a company like VW. The cars aren't the cheapest in the world so to try and save money they fit second rate radio equipment. Might take the same option as yourself and fit another make of radio. Thanks for your reply.

Willie.

Sponsored Links
Back