vw polo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Polo 1995 which has lost its electric supply so won't start. The battery is working but there is no supply to internal light, instrument panel, radio and can't start engine. When supply first went managed to get it back my father in law messed about wiv it. Can't find any blown fuses. Any ideas where why the electric supply has gone?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85733#ixzz2llfx6GlR

Sponsored Links
I don't think these have a main fuse, but may be hoplessly wrong.....check the connection of the positive battery terminal - tug the cable to see that it is secure. Do the same with the negative one....at both ends where it connects to the bodyshell and / or gearbox top. These are the earthing points.
John :)

hi john. my father an brother in law hav done that. he's pretty good when it comes 2 cars but he cant think of anything. he's spent hrs on it over the last wk or so, 2 no avail. he thinks its something 2 do wiv the ignition but doesnt know what as all wires hav been checked (they know what there doing, I hav no idea at all how they hav checked them). some1 suggested takin the relay or something out. which was on fuse box 4 an had an 18 on it, but thats fine (it was suggested on this site on another persons post, so asked them 2 check it). he is at his wits end trying 2 fathom it out so I told him I wil check foruns an tgat, hence this post. anymore ideas???

The ignition switch on these is prone to failing......this would cause the dash lights to fail, and the car wouldn't start either.
However, this shouldn't prevent things like the interior light and indeed the sidelamps from coming on!
Typically a blown fuse would cause all of these symptoms, and if there is one, it will be very close to the battery positive terminal or the positive battery lead would go straight there.
One thing you should check...as well as the heavy gauge battery lead (red one) is there another smaller gauge wire that has become disconnected?
John :)

Sponsored Links
thanx john. I know nothing about cars only that its red an moves, so I wil let himknow 2moro when he comes (or 1 of them do) what u hav said and get him 2 check these things. ur a superstar, I wil let u know the outcome. thanx ever so much 4 replying xxx

Stacey xxx

All those Red Polo's gave electrical trouble ............. :)

You have no battery power from the positive terminal of the battery to the car auxiliary circuits. The one's that do not switch off with the key, so it ain't the ignition switch.

double check that you haven't a fuse like link beside the positive (+ Red) terminal on the battery, it may well be blown or just have a little hairline crack. Also check the fuse box for fuse blown or corrosion on the terminals

Hope this helps ...........

If I can dig out a wiring diagram I'll be back ..............

Cant start engine?
If you turn the key, does it make a loud click? Visually check the wire going to the starter solenoid, it may well be connected to the axillary stuff down at the starter motor solenoid

hi. just 2 let u know nothing has worked as yet! thry r stil tryin, anymore ideas wil b greatly recieved xxx (screen captured these messages an gav it them. I hav no idea unless things were colour coded, ha!) xxx

You would need to systematically test at different points to prove the voltage is present. If as you say they know what they are doing then locate the large feed cable at the ignition switch and verify the 12 volts is present.
I dont think there is a fuse between the battery and this point so if the voltage isnt present then you need to locate where this cable is fed from.
As suggested it seems to be you have lost the 12 volt supply from the battery to certain circuits but its not apparent on any electrical diagrams where the cable runs.

Sponsored Links
Back