W/M waste pipe size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the standard diameter of a washing machine waste pipe?

In our new house I am trying to plumb in the washing machine but the waste pipe is not long enough to reach the stand pipe. The pipe measures 22mm, so I went to the DIY shop and bought another waste pipe and a 22mm coupler and tried to fit them together. The original waste pipe fitted, but the new one was much bigger (looked similar to the eye, but was around 25mm although there was no measurement on the packaging).

So I thought that I would just try and buy a new pipe at 22mm but I have just seen one which says 21mm standard.

Appreciate any advice - starting to smell! ;)

Sponsored Links
The hose sizes are all over the place - just get bits which fit!

I found a dog end of 22mm copper pipe fitted inside the spigot on the washing machine hose to support it, and the larger end of the extension hose I bought would then fit over the spigot. A worm drive hose clip kept everything watertight.

The soft rubber spigots/sockets on the hoses can often be squeezed down a long way with a hose clip, so you may get a 25mm end to seal onto a 22mm coupling.

Thanks TicklyT.

I'd need to buy a piece of 22mm copper pipe in order to achieve that as 25mm end won't fit into the 22mm coupling to start with (without the use of said piece of pipe and clip) so I think I might as well just get a 22/21mm waste pipe and use the existing coupling.

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
I could not find a piece of 22mm waste pipe on today's shopping trip, but I did find a 2.5 m replacement hose of the thicker 25mm ish diameter so I thought I would just replace it entirely. Unfortunately fitting it to the washing machine seems to be more complicated than I thought. The connection is inside the machine, but it seems impossible to unclip and even then I am not sure I could pass it through the hole in the washing machine case so that I can replace the panel I unscrewed to gain access.

:confused:

Yeah you are probably right - what we did end up doing is moving the washing machine so it is close enough, but the problem is of course I cut the end off the original hose, and I being stupid I did not leave enough hose on the piece I cut off to join it back using the coupling I bought.

Why is it so hard to find a 22mm drain hose?!?! ;)

This says 21mm, but looking at it I cannot help thinking it is 21 measured inside, not taking into account the width of the pipe walls themselves?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17485/Plumbing/Washing-Machine-Accs/Washing-Machine-Drain-Hose-1-5m

Maybe this?

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...880/0/0/504898/universal-18/22mm-drain-h.html

I gather the 18/22 means 18mm inside 22mm outside?

I have bought and wasted 2 drain hoses already - don't want to buy a third and do the same! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back