W-Plan layout and all rads warming up when HW only selected.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hoping someone could advise on this. We have what I assume is a W-Plan layout with a Honeywell V4044 1098 3\4 inch valve, grundfos pump and FE tank all in the loft. We have an old Worcester back boiler behind the fire in the lounge.

Question I have is that currently when HW Only is selected our bathroom radiator also warms up (none of the others are affected). We are considering major changes in the bathroom involving removing this radiator completely. As a test I shut down the radiator valve on this particular rad yesterday and put the HW only setting on and noticed that after a while virtually all of the other rads warmed up (which they didn't previously). The water is being heated as it should.

Was wondering why when I close down one rad that all of the others now heat up.

Could someone please advise ?

Just wanted to know where I stood with this before cutting the pipes feeding the bathroom rad and potentially causing major problems for the others.

Many thanks

Barrie

Sponsored Links
Thanks misterdubya.

I was actually thinking of replacing this valve with a proper 3-way Honeywell thereby going for the Y-plan layout. Was also going to replace the programmer and then recable accordingly.

Does anyone forsee any problems with doing this ?

Have noticed that during winter, when I have the central heating and HW on the water tends to only get luke warm and the radiators warm up fine.

Or do you think this is another symptom of that valve just being faulty ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back