walk-in bath - shower attachment runs cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an elderly friend with a 10 year old walk-in bath. Was professionally installed but company now gone bust. Has all worked 100% for 10 years.
Hot water is from hot water tank (temp is fine) Hot and cold are pumped and the bath fills quickly from a mixer tap with shower attachment. (Two separate taps and knob that pulls up to turn on the shower attachment.)

Problem: bath fills fine from hot tap with plenty pressure and temperature but when the knob is pulled up it flows at much lower temperature (pressure is good) through the hand held shower attachment.
I assume that there must be some valve somewhere or thermostat to ensure the water does not scald but as it is all enclosed within the bath unit I cannot see how it works.
Anyone know how these work?
My guess is that the shower part is increasing the pressure and the hot cannot deliver. (failing pump?)
Has been fine for 10 years.

Sponsored Links
If it is a thermostatic bath filler / shower valve, they can get jammed up with limescale. Swinging the temperature control from it's hottest to coldest settings about half a dozen times with the shower running may be enough to free up the valve.

Some shower valve makers recommend doing that monthly or quarterly as 'routine maintenance' - easy enough to do as part of a cleaning routine.

Sometimes just a bit of limescale building up in the shower head can cause the temperature control to behave unpredictably.

There is no visible temperature control apart from the taps.
I have removed the knob assembly from the mixer taps and cleaned and greased it as it was very stiff. Otherwise there is nothing visible.
This the tap assembly -

This is the knob assembly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back