Walk in shower - tile slip ratings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to choose some tiles for my utility room containing a walk-in shower (concrete floor with a 1500x900 impey aqua grade former built into it so standard 4 degrees or whatever it is fall to drain in the shower area)

I'm aiming to have one continuous type of tile over the whole floor, envelope cut in the shower but I'm not sure what I should be aiming for in terms of slip resistance. As a room where there's likely to be moisture, I'm obviously avoiding highly polished tiles but I'm not sure what 'R' rating I'll need.

e.g. I quite like the look of these tiles from Tile Giant.

The 'standard' ones have a slip rating of R10
https://www.tilegiant.co.uk/i-pietra-alpine-charcoal-lp-lappato-gip4b-824505.html

But they also do an 'anti slip' version which is R11
https://www.tilegiant.co.uk/i-pietra-alpine-charcoal-anti-slip-gip4b-824515.html

I've also read a load of stuff that suggests an 'R' rating is pretty meaningless.

Am I overthinking this?

Sponsored Links
You can never overthink safety. Underthink it and you could break your neck.... or someone elses who may use the shower.

R ratings are meaningless for barefoot areas. Instead, you need the DIN 51097 or "CAT" rating. "CAT-A", will be slippery and should only be used by professional ice-skaters, "B" will give a small amount of resistance fine for some people, not for others, or to cover your backside, "C" is a safe bet and the highest rating.

Lappato means semi-polished. I can almost guarantee that will be CAT-A. The anti-slip version will be a B or C.

Thanks for the clarification, kind of what I thought.

I've picked up some samples of other tiles with a rough textured surface, sort of like simulated stone and I can tell these would probably be CAT C, however I feel like they'll rip a mop to shreds and water would pool in the texture/not completely run away on a very shallow slope.

Just frustrating that suppliers don't give CAT ratings!

Don't see why they can't email the factory. It may not be available for the lappato as it might not have been tested if it's not intended to be an anti-slip, but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't get the CAT for the R11 tile.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back