Walking on the roof

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

Going to have a go at converting my old mortar bedded ridge tiles with a dry system, but wondering what the pros and cons are of spreading the load by using boards or something like PIR, vs just wearing soft shoes and stepping carefully above the overlap/battens (tiles are bog standard Marley concrete).

It's a ground floor roof with trestles next to it, so not worried about falling too far, I'd just rather avoid cracking too many!

Sponsored Links
You can use scaffold boards but just be careful as they can slip. Have some spare tiles on standby. If you crawl up the roof it will spread the load but you will ache the next day!

Doesn't matter if you are on a bungalow roof or a 3 storey roof. Falling off is not something you want to consider lightly.
It's not the actual fall, it's how you land that does the damage.

Sponsored Links
Pleased to say the job is done and nothing broken (asides from the tile I bust the corner off by throwing a piece of batten!)

Questions for the pro roofers:

Can you get shorts/trousers with a rubberised arse patch to prevent slipping?

What do you put your tools and fixings in when you're up there?! I had to go up and down repeatedly to fetch things that slid down the roof!

Pleased to say the job is done and nothing broken (asides from the tile I bust the corner off by throwing a piece of batten!)

Questions for the pro roofers:

Can you get shorts/trousers with a rubberised arse patch to prevent slipping?

What do you put your tools and fixings in when you're up there?! I had to go up and down repeatedly to fetch things that slid down the roof!
I'm not a pro but I used a small duffle bag for the tools. Trousers with holster pockets help for screws and nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back