Wall and column construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I need advice on building of a walls and columns. Why are my columns on both sides of the gate not tied into walls. Could it be a good thing as a careless wagon driver pulling out of drive turned too quick catching the column hence physically moving it. This was one side the other side the column moved when the gates were forced together. The morter in the walls and columns is well past the sell by date. It's like powder and crumbly.

I am planning to rebuild the walls but not sure whether to tie the walls and columns. The walls are double brick 600mm high. The columns are 450mm square 1500mm high. I am sure members will know how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Gates with any weight about them require a very robust pillar for support.

We have concreted in a steel rsj into the ground and then clad it in brick. The gate hooks were welded directly to the steel and made long enough to protrude past the masonry.

The problem with the hooks is the uppermost hook will tend to lift or pull the top courses of brickwork if there is not enough masonry above.

Gates with any weight about them require a very robust pillar for support.

We have concreted in a steel rsj into the ground and then clad it in brick. The gate hooks were welded directly to the steel and made long enough to protrude past the masonry.

The problem with the hooks is the uppermost hook will tend to lift or pull the top courses of brickwork if there is not enough masonry above.

Hi noseall

At the moment the bits of steel that carry the weight of the gates protude through the pillers. I have taken gates down a few times in the past to paint them. They are not heavy. What about tieing pillers into wall is this practice allowed or shall I keep pillers seperate from the walls.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back