prc house . vertical concrete columns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i bought an ex council house that was rebuilt due to the old cancer issues and it was the only way the previous owner could get a mortgage. its been a process of doing it up bit by bit over the last 9 months since i moved in . today i was putting a new door frame in upstairs when i discovered that either side of the door was a vertical concrete column and a lintel at the height of the rafters . i have the kitchen gutted as its getting replastered tomorrow and upon inspection it seems that all of the stud walls are made from verticle concrete columns rather than wood. my question is that i am thinking of moving a wall upstairs to enlarge the bathroom but now i have seen all of this strangeness i am having second thoughts, does anyone have experience of these houses and how they are constructed, i dont really want to trash all of the walls just to have a poke around , not yet anyway ,thanks.

Sponsored Links
don't have any photos, sorry, the kitchen is all plastered up when i do the next door frame ina about a week ill take a photo. did find out something else though, The stud walls run the length of the house 3.5mtrs from one side and 2.5mtrs from the other .i lifted up a floor board on the first floor and discovered that the columns on the ground floor have a metal cross piece at the top( 6 ways). directly above is another column that goes up to the first floor ceiing height and going across the house it has a metal joists going to the outside walls that support the floor boards. at least i now know that the stud walls are supporting so putting in new joist sfor an attic conversion may be possible, i am slightly worried as i cant see any house around me with velux in. i'll get the planner over and see what he says.

At the very least you're going to have to say exactly what type of prc house it is. There are dozens - if not hundreds - of types and they are all built differently.

Sponsored Links
on the receipt for the rebulid it states that it is an airey house and reading on the web a bit would seem to confirm this. whether this name is given to a wide range of prc houses im not sure.

Airey houses are basically constructed of storey height PRC columns originally with infill panels. Repairs consist of removing the old panels, checking the condition of columns and providing they are sound (which they often are) re-cladding with brick veneer or one of various composite panel systems.

It sounds likely that your columns are still as original which means removing external walls will be difficult. Either way I wouldn't recommend knocking anything about without professional input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back