Wall cabinets on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some wall cabinets from Ikea (the Fyndig ones), as I wanted something fairly cheap and cheerful to use as storage. Except they don't fit on a hanging rail like another cabinet I've installed, but just seem to screw into the wall with only 2 screws. The unit weights 20kg without anything in it, and I'm wondering if this is wise, and if not, then how I could strengthen the thing. It's not meant to hold really heavy stuff, but still...

My walls are supposedly 32.5mm Kingspan Kooltherm plasterboard with (I think) metal studs behind (I bought a strong magnet and it sticks all up the verticals, not just where you'd expect to find screws). I've read some people saying that you should definitely use the studs, and other people saying that you should never use steel studs... so how would you recommend I fit the cabinets? The other thing is that I don't necessarily want to screw this in where the studs happen to be.

I've attached a pic of the relevant bit of the Ikea instructions, plus a pic of the snaptoggle that everyone says is great and holds lots of weight. Is putting it into plasterboard alone stupid?

Sponsored Links
You could support the weight better with a baton above and below the units screwed to the steel studwork.

Alternatively screw a sheet of ply to the wall ( to fit the size of your units) and fix to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back