Wall Clamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just purchased a new property which has had the stack removed in the rear of the house. I wish now to remove the rest of the chimney.
My surveyor has recommended that I remove the chimney inside and erect a 5m RSJ to be concreted into the floor and clamped to the outside wall using 3 seperate wall clamps, i.e threaded bar, bolted onto the RSJ and a threaded clamp on the outside.

I have seen these things before (usually big x's) on the outside wall but he indicated to me that he has seen small circular Victorian ones which would suit the property better and not look as unsightly as the big x's.

The problem I have is that I do not know the official name for these things and also no idea where to get them from!

Any ideas anyone?!

Sponsored Links
what is the purpose of the RSJ you mention?

Thanks noseall, thats exactly what I'm looking for!

JohnD, the purpose of the RSJ is to run vertically up from the floor to the roof to be used as the anchor point for 3 wall ties equally spaced vertically up the wall.
When the chimney is removed inside, the wall will be a single width of brick and the RSJ will serve to stregthen and hold the wall in place as it has a slight bow due to years of open fires.
It's as much of a precaution as anything else but should be fairly easy to install and should certainly do the job (I hope!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
top tip;

when referring to an upright piece of steel call it a 'column', whereas an r.s.j refers to a rolled steel 'joist', giving thought to a horizontal member. ;)

Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated!
I shall go forth and erect my column ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back