wall construction for upstairs extension on a 30's 'chalet bungalow'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see loads of these upstairs flat roof jobs done. The walls are built with timber studs and tile hung on the outside. are the walls only 4 x 2's filled with 100mm celotex? or are they thicker than that to meet latest U values?

Sponsored Links
If the job is an approved one, then the whole house has to meet some U spec, so you can save insulation here and put more in there, providing the total meets the regs. I do take your point though, down my old road there were some 1970s dormer bungalows, where the window frame went right up to the outside edge of the "walls" of the dormers. The total wall thickness would have been less then 3".
Frank

100mm Celotex in typical 600 centred stud work will meet the u-value requirements for walls.

But to prevent pattern staining of the timber, an additional later of insulation across the internal face would be good practice

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody, How thick would the inner layer of insulation have to be?..............what actually causes the 'pattern staining?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back