Wall crack - could this be a structural problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We've been slowly redecorating our flat (converted Victorian property) that has suffered a lot of botch jobs under the previous owners. We have also had trouble getting informative advice from the builders/handymen whom we have talked to in person.

We have a room with a couple of cracks in the two walls that face to the outside. The roof had been leaking a little above the corner where they meet. It wasn't too bad apparently in terms of structural damage, but a very obvious damp patch had appeared on the ceiling and the adjacent wall. We had the roof fixed as soon as we could.

The wall adjacent to where the leak had been has a pretty long crack about a metre down from the damp patch where the plaster itself seems to have buckled up about an inch on each side. There are also a few other hairline cracks. We are going to get it skimmed by a guy who did a good job of skimming the ceiling in another room.

The other wall facing outside has one crack which is about a metre long and is not straight either. It appears that the previous owners tried to fill it with some substance (Polyfilla?) and didn't do a great job, as it actually protrudes out of the wall. I only have pictures of this crack - I am working away from home so I can't add a photo of the other wall with the buckling plaster.

We didn't think it is necessary to skim the entire wall to get it decent looking just because of this one crack. How would you deal with it? Do you think there might be a structural problem behind it? Our handyman basically said it is up to us if we want to skim it or not - very helpful :rolleyes:

Clickable thumbnails:

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have!

Sponsored Links
It's nothing. Rake it out and fill it with Polyfilla. Sand it down and paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back