Wall crack, floor tilt. (newbie)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would appreciate any advice on my problem. We live in 1930's semi detached house with an extension (lounge, kitchen, upstairs bedroom extended). We move in 2y ago and last year I noted some cracks in the lounge, which is against the wall shared with the neighbour. They are 1mm wide in places elsewhere hairline. They are vertical along where I presume extension starts. Also the floor seemed to tilt downward at that point. An engineer (with a PhD) came round from the insurance company and suggested that the heavy rains had led to some settling. There is a small amount of the same happening in the kitchen. The cracks have not progressed. He said that the likely explanation was less than ideal workmanship, where the new walls' brick weren't intercalated, but put up next to the end of the wall. He suggested the only thing that needed doing was to fill in the cracks and that the floor which was on wooden joists (+carpet on top) could be re-suspended.

Does this sound reasonable? I thought of getting an independant person in to review this but I don't want to waste money that could go to fixing this as the insurance won't pay out for this anyway.

Very appreciative of any advice on this problem.

Sponsored Links
I'd say that the doctor has mis-diagnosed (heavy rains caused settling? :rolleyes: ) but otherwise from your description there does not seem to be an issue and this is common with extensions where they join the main house

Extensions do move, and they are not rigidly tied into the main house to allow for movement. Progressive/excessive movement or cracks which you can get your fingers in require further investigation though

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the advice - I forgot to mention there are some cracks in the cement between the bricks on the outside which I presume are part of the same process. Does anyone have an idea of the cost I should expect for the builder to straighten out the floor? it slopes at an angle of about 10 degrees from a very definite point. (2 rooms have slope - kitchen and lounge)

Thanks again for putting my mind at some ease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back