Crack in wall, floor tilting. If not subsidence, then...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would appreciate any advice on my problem. I have asked some details in a post a couple of months ago but would appreciate clarification.

We live in 1930's semi detached house with an extension (lounge, kitchen, upstairs bedroom extended). We moved in 2y ago and last year I noted some cracks in the lounge, which is against the wall shared with the neighbour. They are 1mm wide in places elsewhere hairline. They are vertical along where I presume the extension starts. Also the floor seemed to tilt downward at that point. There is a small amount of the same happening in the kitchen. The cracks have progressed slightly (up and down wall). An engineer (with a PhD) came round from the insurance company and suggested that the heavy rains had led to some settling. He said that the likely explanation was less than ideal workmanship, where the new walls' brick weren't intercalated, but put up next to the end of the wall.
He suggested the only thing that needed doing was to fill in the cracks and that the floor which was on wooden joists (+carpet on top) could be re-suspended.

If this is not subsidence, is there a technical term? If I just leave it what would happen? Finally, My insurance quote has gone up from 300 to 500 to 671. Confused.com suggests about £300. (no claims 3 years). Is the insurance company therefore having suspicions about my house?
Very appreciative of any advice on this problem.

Thanks

Igor

Sponsored Links
Did the guy who had the original work done have Building Regs approval for the work? If not and your insurance company have got wind of the fact then that is why your premium has gone up - without Building Reg approval you have inherited a liability.

PS 1mm crack is nothing to worry about, rake out the crack and fill and paint - when you can see daylight then you will know that you have a problem. If the wall was butted up against the existing wall of the house a 'crocodile wall tie system will have likely been used where a thin steel section is bolted to the wall and ties are inserted at around 300 vertical centres to tie the new wall to the building, if this is correct you can sometimes get a bit of movement which would explain the fine cracks that are occurring.

As for the suspended timber floor either get used to living with it (cheap option) or re-level and align the joists - not quite as simple as it sounds but it is dobalbe!

Regards

Didn't you get an answer the last time your posted? :rolleyes:

The simple answer for your high quote is ....... get some other quotes

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was getting a little nervous about the crack and tilt of the floor.

The insurance company quote appears to be unrelated to the crack and floor tilt. They gave me a 40% discount today :D

Igor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back