Wall crumbles when drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to put up some blinds I bought yesterday. Forgive me if I sound ignorant but I'm not exactly handy.

When I drill into the wall the hole ends up about twice the size of the drill bit. The plaster just crumbles and then when I hit what I assume is the brick, I can't go any further no matter how hard I push. The drill bit I'm using says 4 5/32 and is the same diameter as the only screw I have that will fit through the bracket that the blinds came with.

The plaster is about three quarters of an inch deep. The screw is about 1 1/2 inches. I've read some suggestions on here saying to use a bigger drill bit and a longer screw for this sort of problem but as I've said I don't seem to be able to drill into the brick so I don't see how I could. A wider screw won't fit through the bracket. [/b]

Sponsored Links
what colour is the drill bit?

what colour is the brick?

are you using a cordless drill?

are you using hammer action?

have you got some plasplugs?

what colour is the drill bit?

what colour is the brick?

are you using a cordless drill?

are you using hammer action?

have you got some plasplugs?

The drill bit is painted green. It's a cordless drill. I've got some rawl plugs but they're too long to fit into the hole at the moment. When you say hammer action, what exactly do you mean? I've just shone a light into the hole and I can't see the colour of the brick. It's all cream so I don't know if it's just plaster. The brick outside is red though.

I don't think I've ever seen a green drill bit. this is a masonry drill bit for walls: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-6-x-100mm-extreme-2-masonry-drill-bit/73770 Observe its colour.

This is an HSS drill bit for wood or metal. http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-hss-metric-jobber-drill-bits-4mm-pack-of-10/70703 Observe its colour.

Bits are usually black (for wood or metal) or silver (for masonry)

cordless drills are usually low power. How many volts is yours?

If it is a hammer drill it will usually have a slider, knob or lever than moves between a picture of a hammer and a picture of a drill bit.

How long have you had your drill?

How old is your house? the colour of the dust when you drill will tell you the colour of the brick.

Sponsored Links
I'll try to get a set of masonry bits. The set I have say 'multimaterial' but looking at the back I looks like brick might not be one of them...the picture's a bit confusing. They're silver and green. My drill is 10.8V. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have hammer action. I was given it for Christmas last year.

The dust is all cream coloured.

you are going to have to fit plasplugs anyway. Look at the pack of plugs and it will tell you what size drill and screw to fit. I always use brown ones, but you can get light duty red or yellow ones for sound walls and light objects. You always need to drill at least an inch into the brick or block, disregard the thickness of plaster which has no strength. Make sure you have a small pack of assorted screws which will be long enough. For blinds I would use 2-inch round headed screws. It does not matter if they are a bit longer than the plug because you will tap the plug slightly below the surface of the plaster. If you find the plugs are a loose fit come back and I will explain how to use the no-more-nails equivalent. A tube will do. If you get a cartridge you will need a gun to fit. Don't buy a plastic gun, get a metal one. It will be very handy in your DIY career.

Buy a some "no more nails" or the cheap own-brand equivalent while you are out, and some polyfilla or own-brand, and a metal filling knife. If this is your first attempt you will have some tidying to do.

If you have some silver drills look at the tip and see if it has a squarish tip of very hard material welded in. If so, they are masonry drills.

If you are not too short of money, look at a mains-powered electric drill with hammer action. It will be much more powerful. You only need a smallish one for little jobs like blinds, £30 should do. Many DIY sheds have an own brand which is OK for occasional DIY. You could spend hundreds if you get carried away. They will be cheaper next week when they are clearing "Dad's Christmas Present" items.

This one is very cheap and is pretty sure to last until the guarantee runs out http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=152428 but you will find plenty more at low prices, for example http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...|DIY,+Tools+and+Hardware|16849207&authToken=#

The green coloured tools from Bosch are their DIY range, and quite good for that. They also make much more expensive trade ranges.

You could be hitting the Lintel above the window,

It will either be Metal, or Concrete reinforced with metal bars.

Thanks very much for your advice. I think you're right about waiting until after Christmas to buy a new drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back