Wall fixings - thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm a bit stuck and hoping someone can help!

I am in the middle of fitting some wall units, and have come across a potential issue...

One of the walls is thermalite blocks, and have to go 9" deep before hitting a solid brick.

Ideally I'd like to find a fixing that is deep enough to go into the brick, but sadly it seems no one sells these, at least not locally.

Are there any fittings that will be suitable to use in thermalite and prove a strong enough support for kitchen wall units? Would appreciate any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Thanks those look a little shallow though, there'd only be about 10-20mm in the block after the plaster board and void.

I've found some 150mm frame fixings in the garage so I'm going to fix one to the wall as a test and see how it performs, luckily no one will see the big hole behind the wall unit... ;)

Thanks those look a little shallow though, there'd only be about 10-20mm in the block after the plaster board and void.

I've found some 150mm frame fixings in the garage so I'm going to fix one to the wall as a test and see how it performs, luckily no one will see the big hole behind the wall unit... ;)
You did not read instructions they go flush to blockwork past board and void.

Sponsored Links
I did then! It doesn't say that, but if it did I wouldn't install anything like that - there'd be a good part of the screw hanging out of the plug that way and I'd bet good money the cupboard would fall on my head in a month!

They would be useful if they were a bit longer but sadly not the case!

I think I'll be going with spring toggles behind the cavity of the thermal brick, if I can get some long enough bolts to use with them, maybe overkill? But they definitely won't pull out

You would have no screw protruding, toggle bolts will be useless, there in no room for them behind as cavity is random and not deep enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back