Wall Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was looking to buy some hollow wall anchors (for the first time), to hang a quite heavy (12kg) mirror cabinet, on a plaster board stud wall.
The plasterboard is standard 12.5mm + about 4mm skim (if i recollect correctly).

I would be grateful if you could tell me which is the right size anchor I need as there are so many different sizes.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

I was not sure what length to use as there are different ones, 43mm, 52mm, 72mm etc....

I know that if you have the wrong length, the anchor will be useless...

So you think 52mm length will be ok?

And sorry to be a pain but would you recommend the anchors over the self drive plasterboard plugs?

:D

A word of advice on that type of fixing - they work far better if installed with the right tool to set them (better than a Readi-Driva or "curly whirly" type). The wings spread out and grip really firmly with no risk of it spinning round in the hole. Also make your holes in the wall a snug fit. 52mm should be OK

Sponsored Links
52mm is the right size for a single sheet of 12.5mm plasterboard, unless you have an insane amount of plaster over it! You may have to buy longer screws separately depending on how they go through the item you're fixing.

I'd definitely use them over the self-driving sort, those rely on threads cut into a very crumbly piece of board. Very easy to make a mess of.

The setting tool's not a bad idea but not strictly necessary. It does save you from a sore wrist though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back