What kind of wall plug can be used with aluminium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

is there any one that know whether there are any kind of wall plugs a could use with 3mm aluminium?

I want to hang something off a 3mm aluminium sheet but not use bolts so could i feesibly use say an hollow wall anchors or would it not bite?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Consider self tapping screws or Rivnuts......a hollow wall anchor would be slack as the aluminium isn’t thick enough.
John :)

Thank you Burnerman, would self tapping screws be do-able in 3mm Aluminium and not too thin?

cheers Mike

It depends what you want to hang off the aluminium. A lightweight frame, (A4 picture frame size for example), would probably be ok but if it's something heavier then it may not be possible. Can you put some kind of support behind the aluminium, such as wooden battens, that you could then hang your object on? Or is the sheet free standing?

Sponsored Links
Yes, no problem Mike - of course it depends on what you want to hang on the ally......excess weight would bend the sheet and put things out of alignment.
Pop rivets are another option but are more permanent than self tappers.
Nuts and bolts are fine of course, if you can get round the back.
John :)

Cheers folks, its basically a box section used as a pillar (two of them) and i want to hange trellis not with plants fancy cedar trellis on them. I will look for some self tapping screws. Thank you.

Stainless steel self drilling self tapping screw to light steel... cladding fixing.

The aluminium will have plenty pull out for the trellis.

It must be stainless for fixing to aluminium or timber ... carbon steel will corrode in those materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back