Fixing bolt to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix an eye bolt to the wall to use as a secondary safety anchor for an aluminium scaffold. I plan to thread a rope in the eye and tie the two rope ends to the scaffold. Neither the rope nor bolt will be under tension except in an emergency. What size and bolt type do I need. I don't know if the bricks are hollow - I suspect it is. Thanks.

brick.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That's just the eyelbolt. The threaded anchor would be more relevant - and the fixing of that anchor to the wall type. Normally m16

Yeah, it is a M16 thread, so I guess that a 20mm hole will be required.

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/...-rawl-pno-77-150-20mm-hole-diameter-required-

Instructions are here

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/products/m16-scaffold-ring-bolt

To, the OP, you will need an SDS drill, a cheap one will suffice, oh.. and a 20mm drill bit.

Open both windows and span some 4x2 construction timber (or larger) across the opening inside. Tie the scaffold to the timber through both window openings using some decent rope and knots.

Open both windows and span some 4x2 construction timber (or larger) across the opening inside. Tie the scaffold to the timber through both window openings using some decent rope and knots.

Yes, that's an option. I already had that idea using an aluminium ladder inside the house as an anchor. It won't work if I need to secure it in high winds. Don't know if more winds will strike. Hence, an external fixing was wanted in case strong winds arrive in the middle of the night. I have the knots all sorted and tested - constrictors work fine.

I used mid-strength chemical anchor to hold bolts in hollow bricks by completely filling the void. That worked to hold the metal holder of a fence post. I am thinking doing the same with the eye bolt. Even if the brick is hollow, it won't matter because it will get completely filled. I could use the max strength chemical anchor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back