Fixing bolt to wall

Then you need to consider how you will set the anchor, as the epoxy may prevent it.

There will be no separate anchor. The chemical will serve as the anchor. I will just have the bolt and a hole a couple mm larger radius than the bolt.

I don't expect the brick void will be large. The facing bricks are supposed to be stronger with smaller voids.

Sponsored Links
If you don't tap the plug through, the bolt may not screw in sufficiently.

There won't be a plug. Drill hole, fill with epoxy, screw bolt into the chemical, and wait for it to set in 5 minutes. Those chemicals go off fast.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I can paint it wall colour then it won't be as noticeable. If needed, it can be cut off leaving a 20mm diameter dot on the wall. But it will be high up, 5 meters.

Never tried. But it could be strong enough to damage the brick. But, I don't see why having a ring on the wall being a big issue. People have stuff sticking out of their houses. I can see a neighbour running a satellite dish wire across the side of their house. Another neighbour has very long boiler exhaust sticking out of their house. You'd get used to it in a short while.

Anyone good with drill bits? I am desperately trying to not buy an SDS drill just for this job. What shank size do you think this bit has? I have an impact drill that can handle a 12mm or 13mm bit. I am looking at getting an m14 fully threaded marine grade stainless steel eye bolt that will last a life time. I don't need the strength of a huge 16mm bolt.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Masonry-Drill-Bit---16-x-150mm/p/186700#

No doubt it's good. But £96 for a hole in 5 minutes is a bit steep. Although, I must admit I don't know what the current going rate is. I have too many tools and try not to get more if I can get away with it.

An SDS drill will cause a huge blow out on the brick. More reason for me to not want one. I will even be more careful with a hammer drill. I will experiment by drilling the final inch without hammer action and adding water.

For the anchor, I went for an eye nut. This gives me some swivel and I can take the nut off when I don't need it any more, leaving a bit of stud sticking out of the wall. For a 150KG (plus my weight) aluminium scaffold to be anchored higher up, this arrangement should be adequate. The stud is A2 stainless steel, the eye nut isn't.

eyenut.png

An SDS drill will cause a huge blow out on the brick. More reason for me to not want one. I will even be more careful with a hammer drill. I will experiment by drilling the final inch without hammer action and adding water.

For the anchor, I went for an eye nut. This gives me some swivel and I can take the nut off when I don't need it any more, leaving a bit of stud sticking out of the wall. For a 150KG (plus my weight) aluminium scaffold to be anchored higher up, this arrangement should be adequate. The stud is A2 stainless steel, the eye nut isn't.

View attachment 271793

Why do think that SDS will "blow out" the brick?

And what you hope to gain by using water? If you turn off the hammer action, you may find that you can't actually drill in to the brick at all.

There is no reason why there would be any blow out at all, using SDS. Blow out only happens when you drill all the way through a wall and at the back. Just start it gently, with the hammer off if the drill allows that. An hammer drill would take forever to make the hole and be very wearying. Cheap SDS drills can be had for £50.

Youtube videos says so :) All drills will blow out, but, SDS more so.

That is complete nonsense. All drills will blow out, but only if you are drilling all the way through a wall. SDS's greater hammer can make this blow out a bit worse, but there are ways to mitigate this. You are not drilling all the way through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back