wall heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
In 1960 bungalow we are doing a extension of 15 sqM opened into existing lounge of 21 sqM. The extension has no wall space for radiators thus thinking of UFH and would like to extend the new heating system into the lounge removing existing single radiator to create a separate zone. Unfortunately I believe UFH in the lounge will not be effective due to the solid concrete floor not being insulated and do not want to reduce floor to ceiling height currently 2.4m. To avoid the cost of lounge floor replacement would wall heating assuming correctly sized, from the new UFH manifold, work? Any comments re wall heating ie is it effective, comfortable etc.
Thanks for all help

Sponsored Links
A diagram would help. When you say no wall space - you don't even have 300mm? for something like this?
7268_a.jpg

NuHeat LoPro Max is designed for laying on top of existing concrete floors - only a 25mm height build up with no requirement for insulation under it.

Putting UFH inside a wall won't work very well - it'll airlock a lot, and there's no means of creating convection to distribute the heat around the room

Hi Motorbiking
Thanks for prompt reply. The ext has three walls and two are reserved completely for the kitchen units the other has bifold doors. We could make room for a tall n thin radiator by reducing the width of the doors. I am also looking into this solution but also want to pursue the wall heating in the lounge.
Cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi again Muggies.
Is the system you advised ie NuHeat LoPro Max designed to somehow work efficiently without any insulation at all or is it just that it can be installed on top of floor to achieve a low height when insulation is not added.
My concern is that on a non insulated concrete slab the system will be inefficient, not comfortable and thus a costly mistake.
Cheers Ian

Hi Bernardgreen.
Thanks for reply.
Yes thinking of these as an alternate but wonder about fan noise as space will be a combined lounge kitchen.
Cheers Ian

Another option is a trench heater, but I'd want the pit properly insulated if not going in to new flooring. (note the pic is 90 degrees portrait)
Gunning-Trench-Heater1-1024x768.jpg

The lo pro stuff works fine in solid floors. That is what I have at home and everything works perfectly.

Kickspace heaters have their place, but nit a living room.

Hello All
Big thanks for all your information so far, impressed with such prompt feedback, very helpful.
Cheers Ian

Hello Muggies & Dan R
Re the NuHeat LoPro Max my concern is its efficiency and thus heating cost on an uninsulated concrete floor slab. Apparently floor (concrete slab) insulation was not used until mid 90's and thus our 1960 floor is not insulated. You have found your system to be effective. To allow me to determine our best solution would you mind advising me further details of your installation such as age of your properties, type of floor, did you add any floor insulation, what floor covering you have used etc.
Cheers Ian

Surely with 2.2m ceiling height you could accept a loss of say less than 100 mm ?

Even 50 mm of insulation will be highly effective insulation!

Tony

Hi Tony
The UFH is for one existing room only and thus cannot accept a significant change in floor height re other rooms.
Cheers Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back