Wall hung vs Back to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are re-doing the bathroom at the moment. We want to replace the toilet which is a close coupled one with either wall hung or BTW. The existing waste outlet is higher than the standard with a 20 cm centre going out of the back wall. The current toilet sits on the internal wall and has a right angled connection to the waste outlet. The distance from the outside wall to the toilet waste in 125 cm. The toilet sits on a 30mm plinth which is on top of tiles and 6 mm ply so this more than raises the toilet to give adequate flow on 25mm per m. BUT I have never liked the plinth - it looks ugly and cobbled together. I also prefer the look of BTW and wall hung toilets. I need some advice on what I have worked out might be issues on these.

BTW
These can accommodate the right angled right hand outlet but the outlets on the toilets I can find appear to be 18cm or 19 cm high at the centre. This would mean the flow would not work. I have calculated we need 30mm fall over that distance. We have the 6mm ply leaving us 24 mm short. I think I have 2 options. 1) remove the old outlet, make the outlet hole in the wall lower and replace with a new plastic outlet and stack OR 2) Build a plinth and try to make it look OK (worry is our 12 year old is hardly accurate with his aim and the plinth might suffer -the current one is topped with a square tile). Has any one else got any ideas about how to configure a BTW to give a clean look and the flow?

Wall hung
At first glance this solves the problem of the height as these are adjustable, however the frames do not appear to allow for a right handed horizontal outlet. Does anyone know of any frames that allow for this? I wondered if we could construct a solid enough false wall with a gap near the bottom to allow for the pipe? Do these frames allow for a horizontal outlet going straight out the back which could then be connected to a right angle connector to go right?

Sponsored Links
Move the stack connection to the right height and location

Wall hung every time Rebecca. Looks better, more modern, higher outlet & easier to keep clean. A mop can pass under it & you can completely clean it. A frame & flush panel provides the solid support & hides all the pipes.

Sponsored Links
Wall hung for me too, we've got the Geberit frame, no issues what so ever and you should be able to get everything to fit. These also give the appearance of more space, something we wanted in our fairly small bathroom, worked a treat alongside the wall hung basin as you get more floor area (admittedly not that you can use it).

Thanks for the replies guys. Have looked at the Gerberit duo and heard good things about it BUT looking at the tech spec it doesn't look like you can get the outlet to go out at a right angle? All the diagrams show a vertical outlet into the floor. How would the soil pipe get past the frame?

Geberit allow for a side outlet.
No disrespect but the manor of typing reminds me of a member who goes by the name of BANALLSHEDS..

Lower the branch although this may be costly....although carrying out a proper job will always be costly.:censored:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back