Wall light removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.

Am looking at removing a wall light I currently have.
The wall light is switched on/off via a switch on the light.
I understand the correct way would be to find its source of power and disconnect its wiring from there?

If that's not possible would it be acceptable to clamp the ends of the wires with a push connector, cover it with insulation tape and then cover it with a black plate?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
The ideal situation would be to completely disconnect all conductors/cable/wire from the the supply source/feed accessory/accessories.
If this cannot be done, then the conductor ends must be terminated in separate connectors, they do not need wrapping in electricians but do require to be enclosed within a backbox/compartment and a plate fitted over the connections.
The plate not only offers basic protection from contact, but also identifies that there is a live electrical cable within that area.

What you must not do is terminate live or potentially live conductor ends, then cover over with plaster or similar products, thus hiding the fact that a live cable is in that area.

The ideal situation would be to completely disconnect all conductors/cable/wire from the the supply source/feed accessory/accessories.
If this cannot be done, then the conductor ends must be terminated in separate connectors, they do not need wrapping in electricians but do require to be enclosed within a backbox/compartment and a plate fitted over the connections.
The plate not only offers basic protection from contact, but also identifies that there is a live electrical cable within that area.

What you must not do is terminate live or potentially live conductor ends, then cover over with plaster or similar products, thus hiding the fact that a live cable is in that area.

Thanks for that. If I end up going down the second route then would I terminate them in push connectors AND also enclose them in a backbox?

Yes, but you must leave a cover plate there to show the location for the cables.

As above, you canot terminate the cable ends and then plaster over. If the cables are to remain in the wall, you must disconnect them at source.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you must leave a cover plate there to show the location for the cables.

As above, you canot terminate the cable ends and then plaster over. If the cables are to remain in the wall, you must disconnect them at source.

Thanks, my concern is I wont be able to get to the source of power. So backup would be to disconnect, use push connectors and cover in box (all in the wall). With a permanent cover plate to indicate wires behind the wall?

The connectors can be push fit or screw terminal, they do require to be insulated though. If the conductor terminals are to be left as a potential live conductor, then the blank plate must be fitted to identify that live cables are in that one/area. The plate must fixed in away does also allow access, for inspection and test purposes to these conductors, so that must be a provision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back