Disconnecting wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...

I took down the main ceiling light today, and turned the power back on leaving the wires hanging out the ceiling whilst decorating. I went to turn the wall lights on, and they didn’t come on.

Now, I had previously been looking into removing all 3 wall lights, but had no way of removing them from the mains due to the upstairs flooring being laminate. So I left them, considering I can’t cut the wire, fill over and leave the live wires in the wall!

Anyhow since they are not working whilst the ceiling light is down, I’m assuming I can disconnect them from the ceiling light point? Then remove wires from behind the switch, and change to a single switch just for the ceiling light...

I’ve attached a picture below...
This is the ceiling light wiring. All 3 black cables where together in the top of the choc bloc (which then connect to the neutral on light fitting), but I have changed one to the bottom to make it easier to explain.

If I remove the black cable from the bottom of the choc bloc (the 1.5mm²) all 3 wall lights become dead. (the neutral and earth are unused on this 1.5mm² cable)

(The wall lights are all wired by 1.5mm².)

Can anyone help me out on an acceptable way of disconnecting the wall lights, without having to rip up the flooring upstairs - or if this is acceptable?

Thanks!
Adam

Sponsored Links
Hmm. You seem to have a neutral there for the wall lights, but where does the live come from? Where is the switch for the wal lights?

You need to disconnect all conductors, not just the neutral!

And you really need to remove all cabling from the wall if you want to remove all trace of a fitting ever having been there. If you can't, sink an architrave box in the wall and put a blank plate over it.

I rather suspect that the live comes from the light switch and the neutral from the ceiling rose. Not the best method...

Secure has outlined the way to do it. Post a pic of the back of the light switch. That will tell a bit more of the story.

I will try to take a picture behind the switch. If I remember right, there is so much tangle, and short wires behind there I can hardly pull it away from the wall without wires falling out! I could make a draw up in paint though, showing which cables go to where etc.

I would much keep the wall lights if it comes to it... instead of replacing them with blanking plates! :p

I will post back with pictures hopefully!

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I could hardly pull the switch away from the wall, but could see which wire goes where. I will take some actual pictures of switch wiring tomorrow morning in daylight.

Here’s a draw up of behind the switch :)lol:)

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Adam

Yes, quite clear. There is no neutral at the switch, so the black wire in the ceiling is the neutral to the wall lights and the red wire in the switch box (connected to the choc block) is the switched live to the wall lights.

You would need to disconnect both of those if you want to remove the wall lights. You can leave the cables in the wall if the wires are disconnected.

If you are keeping the wall lights, then there's no problemo.

Earth continuity should be maintained at the fitting if T&E is used regardless of the fitting used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back