Living light fitted - Now bedroom light doesn't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just installed a new light in the living room. The make is a Nud light.

It has no earth so put the earth in a choc bloc.

There are 2 black wires and 1 red. I wired 1 black (neutral) wire to the fitting, and 1 to the choc bloc.

The light works, but the bedroom light no longer does.

Please could you advise on what to do? Do I need to pigtail the blacks and use a wire nut?

Very very new to this so any advice appreciated greatly

Cheers

Roy

Sponsored Links
How were they connected together before?

Sounds like you need to connect both blacks together into the light fitting, but I can't say that for certain.

Hi, I've just installed a new light in the living room. The make is a Nud light.

It has no earth so put the earth in a choc bloc.

There are 2 black wires and 1 red. I wired 1 black (neutral) wire to the fitting, and 1 to the choc bloc.

The light works, but the bedroom light no longer does.

Please could you advise on what to do? Do I need to pigtail the blacks and use a wire nut?

Very very new to this so any advice appreciated greatly
You have connected a (non used) building Earth wire to an isolated terminal on a "choc bloc".
You have also connected a previously used building Black (Neutral) wire to another isolated terminal on a "choc bloc".

It is probable that the now isolated Black (Neutral) wire is the Neutral wire for the bedroom light. Connect it to the other Black wire.

Plan B, of course, is to accept that trying to work with lethal voltages by trial-and-error, connecting things together in different ways, hoping to luck onto the combination which works, is pretty high on the scale of 1 to stupid.

Roy - now that you have decided not to replicate the way the wires were connected in the old light, you need to get a proper 2-pole voltage tester or multimeter, and positively identify them so that you can put them in the right places in the new light.

I wired 1 black (neutral) wire to the fitting,
How do you know that it's a neutral?

Do I need to pigtail the blacks and use a wire nut?
Were the two black connected together in the old light?

Sponsored Links
I removed a wirenut recently. Can’t for the life that of me remember where but it was still doing it’s job long after the guy that put it in will have been. Still, ‘orrible things

Can't understand why the new fitting can't accept two neutrals.
Can't understand how you selected which neutral to go to the light fitting, and which one to put in a 'choc bloc'.
Can't understand why you are talking about 'wire nuts' when it seems you have 'choc blocs', one of which could be used again, only correctly.

Last edited:
Im struggling to work out 1 red and 2 blacks and ? earth
Singles, line looped at the switch, neutrals looped at the rose.
Normally with manky old slip conduit and rubber insulated wires from half a century ago.
Although not impossible that it's a more recent installation, or is proper conduit, or both.

ah singles thanks.
I did wonder why BAS was later refering to the blacks as Neutrals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back