Fitted a light and now others will not work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas please. Bought an LED light for the bathroom and it has two wires Live and Neutral. Took the old fitting down and there are two black wires, one red and the Earth.

I fitted the two black wires to the neutral and the red to the live. The light works but two of the bedroom lights won’t work. The landing and third bedroom work fine. Doing me head in, what am I doing wrong?. Looked at google but it may as well be in Swahili.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you’ve got a good connection onto the copper of both of your black wires?

Seems to be, I pared back the sleeves and slotted them in. Would there be a junction box in the loft that I have disturbed?

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the connections at light fitting. Whilst you drop the fitting ,check for a terminal block in the ceiling with two reds in it.

Not that I can see but there maybe in the loft. I will have a look tomorrow. Everything was fine until today.
Some bodgers do poke it up the ceiling hole, houses are more rarely wired in singles, so the cables do tend to be in pairs rather than three, so you may find 3 reds in a seperate block, if ones come adrift other lights would fail.

Do you remember when you restripped the ends, was it one solid copper or seperate copper strands
Also the earth did it seem to be a copper core with loosely fitted green/ yellow sleeving on it, rather than a normal insulated cable

Some bodgers do poke it up the ceiling hole, houses are more rarely wired in singles, so the cables do tend to be in pairs rather than three, so you may find 3 reds in a seperate block, if ones come adrift other lights would fail.

Do you remember when you restripped the ends, was it one solid copper or seperate copper strands
Also the earth did it seem to be a copper core with loosely fitted green/ yellow sleeving on it, rather than a normal insulated cable

Solid copper and yes it is a loose sleeve.

Solid copper and yes it is a loose sleeve.

Sounds like it is Twin and earth cable

Each cable is mainly Red Black And bare earth.
However they also made Red Red and bare earth. which maybe you have going to to your switch

I am quessing you may have
2 of the Red,Black Earths and
1 Red,Red Earth
and you have yet to find the missing 3 red cores, 1 of which would be feeding your other rooms. and may have come adrift,

However as terry says you could even have 2 Red,Black Earth cables and also 1 SINGLE Red

Sounds like singles to me. Two neutrals and a switched live / earth. Very common around where I am.

If I have understood the OP's response the conductors are solid copper including the CPC loose sheathed. Not likely to all be singles RF ??

If I have understood the OP's response the conductors are solid copper including the CPC loose sheathed. Not likely to all be singles RF ??

I’m referring to 6241Y singles

8B528B03-185F-4E8D-9EB9-797E3F23F6BD.jpeg

Hi

I have attached a photo and there are no other wires located around them in the loft.

20201109_190539.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back