New lights fitted...now other lights don't work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband and I installed a couple of light fittings in place of old pendant lights yesterday. We've been able to fit lights successfully on previous occasions but ran into some problems last night.

Basically, both lights work fine but appear to have created some problems with other lights in the house so we've obviously ballsed it up somewhere!

The basic setup in each room is the same. There are 3 cables from the ceiling each with a red, black and yellow/green wire. The yellow/green wires are attached together. It seems that the lighting circuit is on a loop and we know that one cable comes from the previous light in the circuit and one cable goes to the next light and the third cable must be the switch cable. (However, none of the black wires are marked with red tape.)

The connecting block is a 3-3-2 so we have put the two black neutral wires and the blue neutral from the light fitting into one block. We have put the three red live wires into the centre block and the black (live) switch wire and the brown live wire from the light fitting into the final block.

The light then switches on fine (and I assume this means that we're using the correct black switch wire). However, if the light is switched off then we can't turn on the lights in the bathroom and study on the top floor. I guess this implies that we have screwed up on the loop wiring but since all three red wires go into the central live block I don't understand what's gone wrong! I had thought that as long as the three wires were in the same block together then the order was immaterial - is this true?

Sorry for the long post but I was trying to give you as much info as possible. Any help would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I should also mention that I have already looked through the "For Reference" sticky without any success and spent about 3 hours combing the posts on this and several other sites! :(

Any ideas would be really helpful... I just don't understand where we've screwed up! :oops:

you need a multi meter to find ut what does waht therby find out what you have done wrong

you may have also broken a wire

Yeah, that's what I wondered. We don't have one at the moment so I've got one on order from screwfix but have just heard that they've got delivery problems so I won't get it until wednesday...

ho hum...

do you have any ideas that I could be going on with?

Sponsored Links
lisaH said:
Yeah, that's what I wondered. We don't have one at the moment so I've got one on order from screwfix but have just heard that they've got delivery problems so I won't get it until wednesday...

ho hum...

do you have any ideas that I could be going on with?

double check all connections. find a local electrical shop or go to argos for a multimeter

just for future reference :D make a note of which goes where .
that includes lights and switches.
also make sure you have decent connector blocks and get a good connection.
i had to go back to one recently where a neutral had broken off, it was wired in 1mm though. :oops:

You've lost the live feed to the next light in the circuit. Check you have the conections in tight with no insulation trapped under the screw. Or for any damage to the cables that may have occured during DIY. Barring that you've prob wired it up wrong, although it sounds correct.

Turn the MCB off first!!!!

From what you have described I would suggest the following.

The first problem is that the flex from the lampholder to the rose is reversed so you need to swap the brown and blue wires. This does not effect the way the lamp works but changes the look of the wiring.

Now the problem with the other lights is you have the outgoing neutral connected in with the switched live, which unless it was marked means they are both black.

If you can not identify the switch live you can wait for the multimeter and find which it is using the continuity range with the circuit turned off. When you have identified the switched live leave this with the brown and move the other black (which is the outgoing neutral) to the black and blue connection.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I decided not to wait for the multimeter to arrive and picked up another one today so we will be trying again this evening. I have an electrician coming on Thursday anyway to fit a bathroom cabinet with internal light since I think that the Part B legislation means that we're not allowed to work in kitchen or bathroom? (And I think that I've managed to comprehensively demonstrate that we're very, very amateur!!!) ;)

However, it's become a point of pride to sort out the ceiling lights that we've installed already before he comes so I don't need to ask him to sort out our mess! Hopefully the multimeter and your help will get us there... :LOL:

My sister done this a few months ago, i thought i was very amusing when the living room switch turned the kitchen light on lol. Took ages to fix it without a multimeter, to this day the 1 kitchen light only works with the other kitchen light on lol.

Just realised that I never thanked people for their responses. Once the multimeter arrived, & we worked out how to use it, we managed to identify the switch wires in the ceiling roses and now they are all marked with red tape! Amazing how much quicker a job is with the right equipment...!! :)

Pleased to hear you have solved it and had the courtesy to come back and thank the form. I would guess you had mixed up the outgoing cable to the next light, with the switch cable. Done the same myself and can be puzzling until you find the reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back