new kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi & Thanks in advance, sorry for the long story..

we've built a new kitchen and im trying to wire the lighting circuit. i thought i had it worked out.

So the supply comes in to choc block, with outgoing wires for the switch, the light and supply out wire (switched live as im having 1 switch(1 gang two way) controlling 2 lights.)

I then want to have 6 soffit lights wired together with a choc bloc (not purchased) and a 1 gang one way switch and a bathroom light and extractor fan to wire up. Wiring them up i understand - Connected together with switched live neutral and earth so they all come on with 1 switch

Question

Where im stuck is : how can i get power for the soffit lights from the 2nd light because it only has switched live, neutral and earth wires on the choc block. Only the first choc block has the permanent live feed.

I'm missing something really simple i guess :S

Extras

nothing is wired up at all to the consumer box as that needs to be changed by an electrician. i just thought id get a head start on some of the cabling work. I've done the final ring circuit all within regulations.

Sponsored Links
Question

Where im stuck is : how can i get power for the soffit lights from the 2nd light because it only has switched live, neutral and earth wires on the choc block. Only the first choc block has the permanent live feed.

I'm missing something really simple i guess :S

If you only want one switch for all lights then you would wire the soffit lights to the 2nd light position. They will switch on/off with the other lights.

But, you should really talk to your electrician first since he/she will need to certify the installation which means designing the circuit such that it meets maximum Zs limits. That may be difficult with all those chock block connections which add resistance, could become loose and might
present a fire risk. Technically your electrician must do ALL the wiring.

Where im stuck is : how can i get power for the soffit lights from the 2nd light because it only has switched live, neutral and earth wires on the choc block.
You can't.
Only the first choc block has the permanent live feed.
This is where you have to connect the soffit lights
I'm missing something really simple
Only the fact that you have already worked it out.

See Wiki at top of page.

Sponsored Links
nothing is wired up at all to the consumer box as that needs to be changed by an electrician. i just thought id get a head start on some of the cabling work. I've done the final ring circuit all within regulations.

As this falls under Part P of the Building Regulations and is notifiable.
I take it the electrician has agreed to your proposals and worked out the circuit design for ring final circuit - because if you expect him/her to sign off your work without his/her full involvement I'm afraid that will not happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back