wall light, wiring behind the fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

First time poster, so apologies if I've tripped over any rules (I did a search but couldn't find precisely the information I was looking for).

I've just taken one of the wall light fittings off a wall in the living room and discovered what looks like dodgy electrical work behind it to my amateur eyes (I was particularly disturbed to see bare copper in places. I intend to get an electrician in to look at this properly but wanted to ask in case what I am looking at is essentially fine. (photos below for you to see.)

189000_188373_46465_31073965_thumb.jpg

189000_188373_46466_57082592_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Essentially it's fine, just old.

The earth wires should go together in a 5 amp connector block.

Ideally the wiring should be in a non combustible box recessed into the wall, but in real life it's quite rare.

Covering with insulation tape, in reality, is the norm.

Thanks or the reply. That's a relief. I don't think the photos show it very well but the ground wire has bare copper spread around the recess - is that ok too?

The earth wires need longer lengths of earth sleeving slid over them, and as I mentioned, connecting to a terminal block.

Sponsored Links
Thanks or the reply. That's a relief. I don't think the photos show it very well but the ground wire has bare copper spread around the recess - is that ok too?

As suggested the earth wires (cpc) need to be connected using a connector block. If the light fitting requires an earth (metal fittings normally) then the earth wires need to connect to the light.

The exposed cooper showing on the earth wires is not really a big deal regarding safety as long as the earth wires are identified in accordance with BS7671. Just doesn't look great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back