earth wire cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a new wall light with metal parts, but on taking off the old light fitting I discovered the earth wire had been cut off :oops: - it is there, you can just see it, but to take up the whole cable to make the earth wire long enough to wire it to the light fitting would leave the light a bit too high up the wall and looking a bit silly! Any advice anyone?

Sponsored Links
Add a new 1.0/1.5mm wire crimped to the old wire.
Check continuity of cpc.
Check Earth Loop Impedance of circuit.

Thanks for the advice. I've read somewhere that for eacth wire you are supposed to use uninsulated butt crimp - is this right, or can you use insulated. If uninsulated - does anyone know where to buy? I can only find insulated.

Wish I'd know crimping was ok about a year ago. Had a similar problem with the new house I'd just moved into. Only that was mains socket rather than a light switch. Had to move the box down. It's fine now, although would be a pain if I wanted to replace to skirting with something a little larger and more impressive.

I sometimes wonder what the broken cut back earths meant in terms of the rest of the ring (the earths weren't even joined together). Or indeed why the person that cut them back thought it was a good idea.

Still, one lives and learns.

---------------

Is there a reason to want to use uninsulated ? I'd have thought you'd only have to insulate it yourself.

Sponsored Links
canter said:
Thanks for the advice. I've read somewhere that for eacth wire you are supposed to use uninsulated butt crimp - is this right, or can you use insulated. If uninsulated - does anyone know where to buy? I can only find insulated.

you can get uninsulated from an elecrical wholesaler. altho if you have the tools for insulated, use that. also, make sure the earth is connected at the other end and not just cut back there aswell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back