Was it ever acceptable to have class 1 lights on a lighting ciircuit without an earth?

Why was there an aversion towards earthing lighting circuits before 1966?? - I am just curious.

Sponsored Links
Why was there an aversion towards earthing lighting circuits before 1966?? - I am just curious.
Conservative tradesmen. They had been brought up with slip-joint conduit, rubber and cotton insulation.

Incredibly, they even into the 70's some of them clipped off the earth conductors from T&E because "lighting circuits don't need an earth"

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I've seen rubber t+e lighting installations WITH earth present - whether this was because 2 amp sockets were present, or it was before 13th edition, or whatever.

It does seem odd many lighting circuits didn't have an earth - so many houses even now are wired in otherwise good condition PVC PVC, yet no earth.

A lot of old brass light fittings and the like didn't even have earth terminals, even shallow depth metal switch boxes didn't always have an earth terminal.

I would have thought more electricians in the 50s and early 60s would have had the foresight to include an earth wire, even if the bare cores were just twisted together and shoved in the ceiling void.

Not an aversion as such, just not considered necessary in many cases. Many people today seem to have the impression that there was no requirement for earths on any lighting prior to 1966, but as the exemption from the 13th edition I posted above shows, that's not so. Earths were still specified where metal switches were used, where fluorescent lighting fixtures were employed, and where other light fittings were mounted so that they could be touched by somebody standing on the floor, could be touched simultaneously with earthed metalwork (e.g. a radiator), and so on.

When it comes to plug-in appliances, over here in the U.S. the National Electrical Code gradually added the requirement for receptacles in specific locations to provide a ground connection over the years in specific locations, such as laundry and kitchen. It didn't require 3-prong outlets throughout the whole house until 1962.

I'm sure I've seen rubber t+e lighting installations WITH earth present - whether this was because 2 amp sockets were present, or it was before 13th edition, or whatever.
Or because it was during the 13th edition period but used where that edition still required earths, e.g. to fluorescent lighting fixtures or wall lights not mounted out of reach.

Don't think I've seen a brass bayonet plug, the very thought of one seems dangerous.
You could - I've got one somewhere. Beautifully chrome plated too.

I initially considered that if an earthed lampholder and an iron with a brass bayonet plug connected to the iron's earth core - this may make an earth connection to the iron.

I wouldn't call it an aversion. Could it be because there were no exposed-c-ps. ?
Brass lampholders certainly had exposed-c-ps, as did the switched with screw-on brass covers.

I wonder if a lot of this (and not necessarily only in relation to lighting circuits) resulted from a leftover of the mindset from the days when TT installations were far more common, fuses were re-wireable and RCDs (or even VO-ELCBs) had not even been dreamed about. In that situation, 'fault protection', as we know it ("ADS"), would very often be unattainable (particularly if one were relying on an earth rod rather than a water supply pipe!), so the only really effect of earthing anything would be to increase the chances of someone who came into contact with line/live to also be touching 'earth' at the same time (and hence receiving a shock)?

Kind Regards, John

I remember iron fuse boxes with a handle/switch on the right hand side. the cover would fall open and I'm pretty sure we had fuses on the live and neutral. Would the fuse box have been made by "BILL" ?
Other versions had a bakelite front cover over a porcelain base, but still with rewireable ceramic fuses with asbestos carrier linings, and double-pole fusing.

This old switchgear survived for a long time in many homes. My grandparents house in north London still had a cellar full of it in the late 1970's, along with later additions such as the ubiquitous black bakelite cased MEM individual switchfuse units where circuits had been added or rewired over the years. Much of the lighting still had 1920's/1930's style rewireable fuses (double-pole) in glass-fronted polished wooden cabinets mounted high up on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back