Was it ever acceptable to have class 1 lights on a lighting ciircuit without an earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says.

Before 1966, most domestic lighting circuits were wired in 2 core cable without an earth wire.

I've seen properties older than that where 2 core+e was used as the feed cables, with 2 core only switch drop cables. This allowed for metal light fittings, and plastic light switches but with metal flush boxes with nylon lugs.

And also seen houses wired in just 2 core only cable, so no earth, with brass ceiling and wall lights.

Brass and other metal light fittings have been around about as long as electricity itself.

Many properties were wired in 2 core only rubber or PVC lighting cable and I'm certain metal light fittings were sometimes used - even seen pre 1966 places where an earth wire is present, but either cut off, or if you're lucky, the earth wires have been twisted together and simply pushed out of the way - but still not connected to a class 1 light.

So, my question again, was it ever acceptable not to earth metal light fittings?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Under the 13th edition the exemption was for:

Lighting fittings using filament lamps installed in a room having a non-conducting floor, mounted at such a height that they cannot readily be touched and are out of reach of earthed metal.

Under the 13th edition the exemption was for:

Lighting fittings using filament lamps installed in a room having a non-conducting floor, mounted at such a height that they cannot readily be touched and are out of reach of earthed metal.

Sounds like common sense was in use during the 13th edition.

Sponsored Links
I think in the 1st Ed., yes!

The only thing the 1st says about earthing is:

"The necessity cannot be too strongly urged for guarding against the presence of moisture and the use of "earth" as part of the circuit. Moisture leads to loss of current and to the destruction of the conductor by electrolytic corrosion, and the injudicious use of "earth" as a part of the circuit tends to magnify every other source of difficulty and danger."

We were tougher in those days. Remember the light switches with brass screw-on covers ? How many of us used appliances that should have been earthed but fitted to a 5amp 2 pin plug?

Or the multiway (2 or 3-way) bayonet fitting adapters that you could fit into the light socket so's you could then attach whatever you liked; usually a radio and an iron !!

And then there were the transformerless radios and eventually TV sets that had a live chassis (if you got the 2-pin plug in the wrong way round) On those it was essential that you didn't have an earth.

It's amazing there is anybody of that generation left!!

It's amazing there is anybody of that generation left!!
One doesn't have to be all that old to remember such practices. My grandparents were still plugging 2-pin plugs into adapters in light sockets less than 50 years ago!

Kind Regards, John

And then there were the transformerless radios and eventually TV sets that had a live chassis (if you got the 2-pin plug in the wrong way round)
If you were in a d.c. district and happened to live in a house fed from the negative side of the mains, then you had to connect the set so that the chassis would be live even with a 3-pin plug or the set wouldn't work.

Lots of replies I see.

Loosely related, years ago people would plug their electric iron into a ceiling pendant.

Chances are the iron wouldn't have a earth supply, correct?

Loosely related, years ago people would plug their electric iron into a ceiling pendant.
Indeed - that's what Jackrae and I said - my grandparents certainly did it (after they 'moved up' from the iron they heated on the gas stove!).
Chances are the iron wouldn't have a earth supply, correct?
No chance, I would have said - those were only 2-pin plugs!

Kind Regards, John

I remember my mother and myself plugging the iron into the pendant.

It made me think: did an iron come supplied with a bayonet connector?

I think before all appliances came fitted with 3 pin plugs, they had nothing attached, just a stripped end ready to attach to whatever.

I remember my mother and myself plugging the iron into the pendant. It made me think: did an iron come supplied with a bayonet connector?
You're forgetting - as secure has said, this was long, long before any appliances came with a 'fitted plug' of any sort!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back