Wall lights (again??)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all (why is it always silly o'clock when I'm on here???)

Nearly 12months ago the missus asked for wall lights in the room we were doing up.. Well 12months on, due to various unrelated issues I'm just getting to finishing this little job off..

I've got 2 wall lights that only require a L&N connection (pushfit in the fitting (ugh)). All the cables have been run, main loop, switch and 2nd light conection. Now I know I could have run the loop back to the switch (just for this light setup), but I wanted to keep with the current wiring of looping in and out of the ceiling roses.

Originally I was going to sink 1g plasterboard boxes and use Helacon connectors to join everything. But now I'm at the moment of truth I'm wondering if all will fit neatly in the box using the helacons. Could I use say an Ashley 501 downlighter JB as it would be accessable (through hole in wall) rather than the helacons?
I did consider crimping but I can't find info nor work out in my head how I'd get all the connections made with crimps.

Advice as always noted and greatly accepted.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Simple old technique is a hole in plaster, small enough to be covered by light fitting- big enough for a 4w choc connection.

Up to you if you want to make it tidier via a jb, push fit or other approved terminating medium.

As long as you can access the cable terminations via removal of fitting, all is good.

Merry Xmas

Thanks,

Just wanted to check, I'm quite happy to stick a jb in for neatness and my own peice of mind it's done properly.

Now to find somewhere that sells these downlighter JBs... *sigh*! lol

Sponsored Links
Well I was going to order it thru them and wait.. But found out WF sell them and sell to the public.. so bonus!

Funny I'd use the likes of WF or CEF (to name the two wholesalers I know of nearest me) more if they had a screwfix (alike) website, don't want the whole online ordering lark just to be able to browse the catalogue but that's a discussion for another time...

Many thanks for the assist again chaps and if I don't get a chance to say it due to various jobs I need to finish before the Jolly Fat man in red appears. Merry Christmas!

Rob

you can't just wang the chock block in the wall or ceiling nowadays Chri5.. it needs an enclosure.. :rolleyes: ;)

how big is the wall light?

the ones at my mothers house easily cover a besa box..

a round fast fix might do if the light is big enough to fit over it.

If you still have any left over from the days when you were always awash with the things, 35mm film canisters make nice little back-boxes for wall lights which need something small behind them.

If you still have any left over from the days when you were always awash with the things, 35mm film canisters make nice little back-boxes for wall lights which need something small behind them.

Does that comply with BS 7671 [526.5] :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back