wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wall lights replaced switch and now the lights stay on all the time can someone tell me the correct place for the 3red 3black 3 earth wires

sorry it was the switch im replacing its s 2 wall lights 1 on either side of fireplace going to a switch which is situated next to a doublewall socket

Sponsored Links
care to be more specific on what you have done?

can't tell if you replaced the switch to the wall lights, or the wall light themselves..

anyway.. one of the red/black cables is a switch wire..

the other 2 are permanent feeds..

you need all 3 red in a connector block, and then 2 blacks into the neutral of the light, the other to the live of the light..

it's trial and error to find the right black I'm afraid unless you own a multimeter.. and by your lack of knowledge I'm guessing you don't..

when you have found the black that is the switch wire, put some red tape or sleving round it to identify it for the future..

sorry it was the switch i was replacing its 1 wall light on either side of chimney breast both set of wires going to the switch which is situated next to a double wall socket

ah well then.. that's a different kettle of fish...

do you want 2 seperate switches, one for each wall light?

does the switch turn on the main light also or just the 2 wall lights?

if the latter then you have one live feed, and 2 switch cables..

you need to connect the 3 blacks in a terminal block, and then one red in COM and 2 reds in L1.. it's trial and error to find which ones though..

if one light switches off but the other doesn't, then one of the reds in L1 is the live.

if both lights switch off, then you've struck gold on your first try, the red in COM is the live..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back