types of wiring circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whilst putting a ceiling fan in my sons house I found that the loop in system in the ceiling rose differed from what I would have expected.
While there was the normal 3red wires together and a black wire with red tape on which was the other side of the switch, 1 of the neutral wires went to the light fitting whilst the other was connected to the earth teminal with the 3 earth wires.
Has anyone come across this type of wiring before as leaving the neutal connected to the earth wires on its own disables the rest of the lights on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
it would do as before, the other lights were getting their return path via the earths, connect it back with the other neutral that goes to the light fitting

thanks breezer, thats what i thought, but thats the way it was wired in the cieling rose, the house was built in 1982, as i said before seperating the earth wires from the neutral results in the total loss of power upstairs also on checking the other cieling roses they apeare to be wird corectly.

Sponsored Links
mandrake said:
tried that and it blew the fuse
strange it doesn't blow the fuse when connected to the earths then?? when you say you connected it back with the neutral going to the light fitting it was the black you connected to (neutral), not the black with red tape on it (switchline)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back