Wall mounted basin taps - how much do you need to spend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am puzzled by the huge range of price for taps that look the same. It doesn't have to be the very best tap ever, but don't want to be replacing it in a couple of years, especially as I was going to bury them in the wall.

Seems like the online places are cheaper, but are they ok on quality?

What about this one, for instance:
http://www.tapsshop.co.uk/Basin-Taps/Wall-Mounted-Basin-Taps/Ka-Wall-Mounted-Basin-Tap.html
Or should I pay another hundred quid for this one:
http://www.tapstore.com/crosswater-kai-lever-2-hole-basin-mixer.html

Would anyone recommend or warn against:
www.bathrooms.com
www.tapshop.co.uk
www.tapstore.com

It's just very hard to know where a sensible price-quality compromise lies as I've no experience of fitting bathroom taps.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
First ones never heard of.
Second ones are from the crosswater selection, crosswater do good gear and spares are available.

what type of system they going on ? both have different min pressures.

First ones never heard of.
Second ones are from the crosswater selection, crosswater do good gear and spares are available.

what type of system they going on ? both have different min pressures.

I don't know exactly how good the water pressure is and I don't think there's an easy way to test with the bathroom ripped out now. The shower in the other part of the flat, supplied by the same boiler, is about the same though.

Is it worth paying for a well-known brand then? Would I regret not paying another hundred now? Can you not expect a decent tap for around the 100 quid mark?

Thanks.

The shower in the other part of the flat, supplied by the same boiler, is about the same though.

Sorry, meant to say that the shower supplied by the same mains and boiler in other part of flat has pretty decent flow.

Sponsored Links
supplied by the same boiler

Is it a combi boiler ? No hot water tank.

Is it worth paying for a well-known brand then?

I think so.

Would I regret not paying another hundred now?
You will when it go's wrong and parts can't be obtained and back up service is a no go.

Can you not expect a decent tap for around the 100 quid mark?

Not really when choosing this type of tap.
An average kitchen mixer can cost £40-£100 then you get a descent kitchen mixer can cost anything from £100 to £300+

Always choose a quality tap like bristan etc then you won't go wrong.
A lot of chinese cr*p about nowdays that are just copies of top brands but half price.

you will find taps are all very mutch the same it a question of supply and demand,,, taps that arrive in the uk with a base cost of under a tenner can easy be priced at 200 plus for this reason,,, a word of warning been to a job in a block of flats with that type of tap fitted,, a 5 minute job turned in to a total of 6 hours to find and rectify,,, even using CCTV probe to locate,,, theres a Lott of joints all hidden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back